Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my last trip to the dunes I was attempting to swap out my stock fronts with a pair of mowhawks and stripped one of the nuts. Now the damn thing won't come off for nothing. What's the safest way to get that thing off now?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I like to use a grinder and cut 2 flat spots on opposite sides of the nut, taking away as much material as possible, but without touching the threads of the lug. Then use a big crescent wrench to get on those two flat spots you made, and twist... if you cut it thin enough, it will most likely break the nut in half before it will come off, but that's fine, you dont' want to re-use it anyway. Get a new one... in fact, I'd bet the corners are rounded on several of your nuts, so just buy a new set all around.

Good luck.

-SS

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Go to sears and buy this kit that removed striped nuts. Its about $50. im not sure if you can buy separate nut removers. Its a pretty cool kit. it takes an over size socket with sharp teeth inside and digs into the striped nut. Removes it like a champ. good lucky WOODY

·
Registered
348 Posts
Get a tool called a "Nut Cracker" it is basically a 1 in dia circle with a threaded wedge that when tightened breaks the nut in half. Dont know who all makes them but I have seen craftsman and harbor freight brands. Price ranges from about 10-20 bucks. Keep in mind it might have stripped the wheel stud instead.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Clarify, please.
Did you strip the threads out of the nut so it just rotates without moving, cross thread the nut so it can not be turned without extreme force, or just round off the external corners of the nut?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've always used KoolAids way.(warning:you might ruin the socket) But you should get the nut off.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I did this same shit 2day except i did it on the rears
The head of the nut rounded off...pissed me off so im givin up for 2night but ill try some of the tips 2mara

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
is the 6 sides to the nut rounded or are the threads stripped, not allowing the nut to back off......

i always put some never seize on my lug nuts.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
KoolAid said:
best way i found to do it is take a socket thats a size smaller hammer it on

one of my buddies stripped a bolt o his yfz and this is what we did and it works perfect. way better thn spending out the ass for something u a do yourself

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ohio Raptor Rider said:
is the 6 sides to the nut rounded or are the threads stripped, not allowing the nut to back off......

i always put some never seize on my lug nuts.....
The nut is rounded off
No straight edges around the outside

·
Registered
56 Posts
same thing happend to me! :mad: but i have two words WAL MART they carry this thing called a gator wrench and it takes off stipped nuts no problem and its only about 10$ :grin_nod:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Borrowed some craftsman bolt outs i think is what they were and they worked perfect...think ill go buy a set just to have

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you are rounding nuts, you are either using the wrong size wrench(SAE when it should be metric) or you are slipping off. If slipping is the case, put the boxed end of the wrench on the nut, then for more leverage, slide the box end of another wrench into the open end of the wrench on the bolt for more leverage.
this pic shows what I mean. It works amazingly well on all bolts.

There is somthing to be said about the right tool for the job. If you notice you are starting to round off a nut, stop then because its not going to miraculously come off all of the sudden. It is just going to get worse. If it is rounding, bang on a smaller socket while you can.

-joe

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I couldnt have got a wrench in the rear wheel to get to the nut anyways
its off and fixed so im good to go :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts