Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my son's 250, the oil filter drain bolt (bottom bolt for the oil filter cover) threads were all messed up, probably from over tightening. I have been nursing it all summer, but it leaks so I want to fix it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only point to this "drain" is to reduce the mess when changing the oil right? I was thinking of just having the hole filled and tapping threads for a regular filter cover bolt like the other two.

Has anyone ever fixed these threads?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
When I bought my son's 250, the oil filter drain bolt (bottom bolt for the oil filter cover) threads were all messed up, probably from over tightening. I have been nursing it all summer, but it leaks so I want to fix it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only point to this "drain" is to reduce the mess when changing the oil right? I was thinking of just having the hole filled and tapping threads for a regular filter cover bolt like the other two.

Has anyone ever fixed these threads?
Have you tryed a helicoil or similar?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I can because the threads don't start until deep in the hole. I would have to take the case side cover off and drill/tap from the inside, which is fine, but then the helicoil threads would be bottom in. Can you do that?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wonder if you can have a custom Time-Sert made for it. I would Time-Sert over Heli-coil 10 times out of 10, but I understand about the threads starting deep in the hole.

When installing a Time-Sert though, you do have to core a larger hole for the head of the Time-Sert to rest. I'm not sure how to explain this in words but perhaps you can drill for the Time-Sert and then providing you can monitor the depth, core a larger hole to the point of where the threads need to start and then insert the Time-Sert into the proper spot. You can then epoxy a steel sleeve from there so the bolt slides through as it should.

I don't know how to explain it any better but if you knew how a Time-Sert worked it would probably make sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the time-sert would be ideal, as long as it can be put in backwards. If so, it would be easy because this is a through hole (oil drain) with the threads at the bottom (inside) of the hole. I guess the question is if I install the time-sert from the back (inside) of the case cover, will the bolt thread backwards into the bottom of the time-sert? If so it would work. The flange end of the time-sert would have to be at the bottom of the hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts