Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My decomp recently failed causing me to split the cases. Since the motor has to come apart I rather add some goodies. I want to add a stroker crank +4 or +6 . Any suggestions out there as to what brand of crank and what type of piston to use. Is lightening my counter balance a good idea?
These were my recent mods before failure. WKR 105mm cylinder,13/5/1 CP piston,Hot rods HD crank, CNC 5 axis Head Porting with valve seat grind,+1mm valves one piece stainless,Kibblewhite Valve spring kit,stg 2 hot cams,Dynatek Programmable ignition,GYTR complete clutch,Yukon HD tranny,Lectron dual 40mm High Velocity carbs,Trinity stage 4 exhaust,Double size radiator and aluminum oil reservoir,15/38 gearing,AMR coil. I want to go with the x14 cam and finally Monster Duals on the new build and add some chromoly head bolts after finding out that my builder had charged me for them but installed new stock ones. I'm going for more top end just to let y'all know. Any tips would be much appreciated.My budget for the new build will be at around $4500.
P.S. My bike only revs up to 7500 rpms in gear Any tips to get it to rev higher or is my high compression going to be a problem.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I think a X4 cam would be better for you. I have never seen anyone like the X14 over the X4 even on drag bikes. KMS make head studs for the 660 to. Send Barker a Stock Crank and have a +6 made up. Thats what I was going to do(until I got a 700). He will balance it for your piston and all. He is one of the best 660 builders out there. I would talk to him about Cam choice. I do not know of anyone better to talk to about that stuff. Barkers or Monsters are a must on that build you got going.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip dog86

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My decomp recently failed causing me to split the cases. Since the motor has to come apart I rather add some goodies. I want to add a stroker crank +4 or +6 . Any suggestions out there as to what brand of crank and what type of piston to use. Is lightening my counter balance a good idea?
These were my recent mods before failure. WKR 105mm cylinder,13/5/1 CP piston,Hot rods HD crank, CNC 5 axis Head Porting with valve seat grind,+1mm valves one piece stainless,Kibblewhite Valve spring kit,stg 2 hot cams,Dynatek Programmable ignition,GYTR complete clutch,Yukon HD tranny,Lectron dual 40mm High Velocity carbs,Trinity stage 4 exhaust,Double size radiator and aluminum oil reservoir,15/38 gearing,AMR coil. I want to go with the x14 cam and finally Monster Duals on the new build and add some chromoly head bolts after finding out that my builder had charged me for them but installed new stock ones. I'm going for more top end just to let y'all know. Any tips would be much appreciated.My budget for the new build will be at around $4500.
P.S. My bike only revs up to 7500 rpms in gear Any tips to get it to rev higher or is my high compression going to be a problem.
If you want high RPM power, you need a 3 plugger...............:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does barker still make those? If so.. How much? Hows the reliability on them?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My man, there is only one guy to talk to.
Send willykiller a pm.
You won't regret it.
He has a head of mine on its way to him right now

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Does barker still make those? If so.. How much? Hows the reliability on them?
Yes, someone checked it out a while ago when I thought they'd stopped doing HV porting as well, I was happily proven wrong. Not cheap, and no idea but I haven't heard any horror stories or complaints.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah Willy and Barker are the only guys I know that still do the 3 plug heads. I had a Barker HV ported 3 plug head. That head pulled like crazy on the mid-top end. I never got my 13.5 :1 piston in to make up for my low end but I'm sure it would have been amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Barker I think will say that the 3 plugger doesn't add much (or so I've heard). Have willykiller do it and you will be blown away. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think I heard barker sold some of his company. Can't confirm that since rumors come and go but I think it had to do with exhausts and that stuff . I think there still gonna be makin em under his name but I have monster duals and they rip, i wouldnt change them for the world! contact Paul from monster he will hook you right up somewhere in the 650 range for a set of those

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I think I heard barker sold some of his company. Can't confirm that since rumors come and go but I think it had to do with exhausts and that stuff . I think there still gonna be makin em under his name but I have monster duals and they rip, i wouldnt change them for the world! contact Paul from monster he will hook you right up somewhere in the 650 range for a set of those
Doesn't sound like there's any fact backing up your post. Barkers designs the exhausts, the canisters are outsourced but have been the same since the first prototype 660 exhausts almost 10 years ago.

I like the idea of an inframe, but until someone can prove to me I'm not losing hp by switching to them I'll happily keep the Barkers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How much do you think youd lose? Id doubt its much if any imo. But id understand not switching when you already have a good dual... no point really besides not having pipes closer to the legs

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much do you think youd lose? Id doubt its much if any imo. But id understand not switching when you already have a good dual... no point really besides not having pipes closer to the legs
Even if there were a hp loss I'd rather have 1 maybe 2 horses less than some of the burns I've seen ANYDAY:D

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Looking at the bends of the Monsters compared to a straight midpipe, I'm not convinced the losses would not be significant. No one has put these pipes head to head so unfortunately I have no data to go on. The Monsters appear to be good pipes which perform well. However a restriction in exhaust flow that may not make much of a difference on a stock machine may be more of an issue for something as highly modified as the OP's. As you mod each hp becomes harder and more expensive to find. The OP has spent a lot of money and sacrificed some "trail-ability" in the pursuit of power. He may not have a problem with the Barker pipe location if it means he has more hp.

The OP has a harder decision than I, because as you said I've already got a set I am happy with.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Even if there were a hp loss I'd rather have 1 maybe 2 horses less than some of the burns I've seen ANYDAY:D
Ok, nvm then. Though I will say to anyone else considering a similar choice that those who complain about burns on the Barker 660 pipes often have little or no experience with them.

The monsters are good pipes, just double check that you can fit them inside the frame with your lectrons. It's been a while and I can't recall how much room you have with dual lectrons vs the dual fcrs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, nvm then. Though I will say to anyone else considering a similar choice that those who complain about burns on the Barker 660 pipes often have little or no experience with them.

The monsters are good pipes, just double check that you can fit them inside the frame with your lectrons. It's been a while and I can't recall how much room you have with dual lectrons vs the dual fcrs.
Thats exactly what I've been thinking about MadDog. If for some reason they wont clear my Lectrons, I'll end up sowing some nomex to my lower pant legs:D
Because there's no way I'm going back to jetting. I'm thinking of taking some exact measurements of my carbs and then asking some forum members with FCR's for measurements of there's. Like that I can avoid any future problems when I make my purchase for an exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I have recently bought a new set of Barkers end cans, & am going to make my own headders to suit.
I want in-frame, as I race MX, as well as trail ride, & play in the cand dunes.
However I (like MD) thought that anything out there seemed to have a lot of bends....
So, I will make my own. Will have some similarities to the Templeton headders that Segkast had on his, but a few differences.
I will post pics etc when I finally get them done.

:D

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I prefer the sleeper look of a Sparks single.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody out there know what is the highest compression piston made for a 660? And could it be used on a +6 stroker. A 3 plug head is already on the list for upgrades, Is there anything else out there that will give me more usable power at high rpm? Any info would be great.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Anybody out there know what is the highest compression piston made for a 660? And could it be used on a +6 stroker. A 3 plug head is already on the list for upgrades, Is there anything else out there that will give me more usable power at high rpm? Any info would be great.
Higher compression doesn't always mean power at higher RPM. I never found that........

1 - 20 of 86 Posts