Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was trying to tighten my chain on my 2001 warrior I just bought, as it was very loose. I did everything as I should, loosen the upper and lower hub nuts and use the adjuster bolts to tighten or loosen, but nothing happens. No matter what I do, tighten or loosen the adjusting bolts, the chain tension does not change. What can I do to get it tighter? Could it be if my atv was not in neutral? I am pretty sure it was, but can't figure how to adjust it. The adjuster bolts go all the way, and then just touch the carrier. But when I loosen them nothing happens as well.

Thanks

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an OEM tool kit, but I do have plenty of 3/8" round or square stock because I do metal work. What are you suggesting that I do with a bar of that?

·
11,172 Posts
Be sure the swingarm/carrier lock bolts are loose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thank you. For the rod, since I do not have the OEM one, is there anything special about it? Bends or anything? Or is it just a basic 3/8" diameter piece of steel?

·
11,172 Posts
Sometimes the carrier and swing arm will lock together and need extra effort to break loose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked, and there are no holes that I can tell of. Do you mean to stick the bar in the sprocket?

·
11,172 Posts
I just checked, and there are no holes that I can tell of. Do you mean to stick the bar in the sprocket?

No. Can you post a picture of the chain side of the carrier?

·
11,172 Posts
So, a picture is worth a thousand words, I was thinking of another system.

Loosen the pivot bolt and nut across the top of the carrier and across the bottom. Looks like in the pic's you already did that. Look closely at the bottom brackets on the swing arm, you'll see slots that the carrier will pivot on. Rotating the carrier/axle assembly back will tighten the chain. You may be out of adjustment and either shorten the chain, or replace. Replacement chain is normally done with both sprockets,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts