Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i am trying to remove my front wheel hub to install a C bracket for speedo sensor of my Trailtech vapor. I am wondering if using torch won't damage the bearings inside. Any ideas how to get it of the axle?

·
Registered
239 Posts
....following because I will likely be here soon....

·
Super Moderator
8,011 Posts
Why are you removing the hub for that? Can't you get it from just tire removal? I think that was all I did with mine.

·
Super Moderator
8,011 Posts
If you don't have it installed by tomorrow I can remove my tire for confirmation..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to unscrew the 2 screws holding the disc brake rotor cover. The C bracket for speed sensor needs to be mounted on those 2 screws. I can't do it without removing the hub with the rotor.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,046 Posts
If they are sealed bearings, the plastic will melt and the grease may boil. Maybe take a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high to heat them. With the nut on, put the wheel/tire back on and ride around till it comes loose. Do you have a slide hammer? Or make one with a medium/heavy chain. Bolt it to the hub, and snap it like a whip. Still stuck, try the other side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they are sealed bearings, the plastic will melt and the grease may boil. Maybe take a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high to heat them. With the nut on, put the wheel/tire back on and ride around till it comes loose. Do you have a slide hammer? Or make one with a medium/heavy chain. Bolt it to the hub, and snap it like a whip. Still stuck, try the other side.
I do have a blind bearing puller with a slide hammer and couple jaw pullers that i tried. I will try electric heat gun as you mentioned.
If that fails i will need to purchase special wheel hub puller. Is it common that those front hubs sit so tight on the axle?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
With the nut on, put the wheel/tire back on and ride around till it comes loose.
Thats what i did. It sounds silly but it worked! Spray the splines with penetrating oil like pb blaster or liquid wrench, loosen the nut and put the cotter pin back in so the wheel wont actually come off and make you a youtube star, then ride in the yard till she comes loose

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it off the axle. Tried riding with loosened axle nut but it didn't work for me. Used 8 inch ratchet extension. Punched the hub several times and it finally came off.
Anyways thanks for your advice guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts