Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still running my factory tires but they are starting to wear out. I was thinking about studding them for the use out on the lake this winter.

Has anyone studded the factory tires? Would you just put one into each tread?

And as far as studs go. They are pretty much just a hex head screw, no? Would it not be cheaper to just buy a box of hex head screws from a hardware store than from a power sports store?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Actual studs are taller and have edges cut into them for better grip. I used sheet metal screws and they do work but don't give the same amount of grip as actual studs. Here is a thread I started last year. You will want to put more than one screw in each tread, more like at least 4.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77047&page=3

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I got sick of not being able to ride when the ground snow on it and is frozen so I am took an old set of bald tires and putting studs in them. For the studs I am used 5/16"x1" carriage bolts with washers on both sides of the tire and a double nut. I have a V pattern laid out (7 in a V) and a total of 8 V's

This is what the tire looked like and the second picture is what they did to ice (they were mounted on my banshee at that time). The grooves in the ice were 1/2 inch wide and 3/4 inch deep.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.