Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS THERE AN AFTERMARKET SUBFRAME AVAIABLE THAT IS STRONGER THAN THE STOCK ONE.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Dunno but am curious: Why?

·
Registered
665 Posts
using some foreshadowing, i would imagine he is asking cuz it is commonly fukked up in a "real" crash and a beefier sub frame would maybe solve that problem

·
Registered
677 Posts
One thing I notice (with anything, not just raptors) but if you beef up one part, it won't get damaged, but will instead transfer the damage to whatever part it's attached to. So if you beef up the handle bars, the steering stem bends, if you beef up the steering stem, the frame bends, if you beef up the subframe, it's possible to break or bend the frame where it's attached. Just a thought.

-SS

·
Registered
494 Posts
I dont know of any aftermarket subframes for it. Ive replaced mine with a stock one already.

I think along the lines of Sandsquid. I chose not to reinforce the new subframe, for fear of transfering more stress to the more expensive mid frame. It is a cast alluminum subframe, which I would not reccomend welding to anyways.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently bailed on a project to build a sub frame for the raptor for the same reason that squid and Glamis mentioned. If I went ahead and built it out of titanium like I was planning it would have been super lite and super strong. The strong part is why I bailed. I figured that with the strength of the new frame it would have to be one hell of a crash to bust it. Downside to this is if it didn’t break then its going to transfer the energy to the next piece, and figuring the strength of titanium. The amount of energy transferred would probably destroy the frame. I figured that it would be more cost effective to replace a few broken sub frames before replacing one frame. The final nail in this projects casket was the fact that the completed costs for the titanium sub frame as trick as it would have been would have been in the neighborhood of a grand. So I re-thought my approach to this project. With the weakest link theory in hand and made some shear bolts that now mount my sub frame to my bike. So now if the wreck is bad enough to snap my sub frame it will snap the bolts instead of the sub frame. I post some pics when I get back in town.

·
Registered
644 Posts
No, no aftermaket su frames yet... I just ordered a stock one from my local shop for about 320$$. I broke mine in three places, and thankfully it was the sub and not the actual frame. id much rather replace the sub frame than the main frame, especially since it costs about $1700, uninstalled. :eek: :eek: :help:

·
Registered
648 Posts
My sub frame is bent too, but its been to cold here to take it all apart to find out how bad or where. I'm even considering riding it lik ethis for a while..its only like 1 inch lopsided in the back now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
sandsquid said:
One thing I notice (with anything, not just raptors) but if you beef up one part, it won't get damaged, but will instead transfer the damage to whatever part it's attached to. So if you beef up the handle bars, the steering stem bends, if you beef up the steering stem, the frame bends, if you beef up the subframe, it's possible to break or bend the frame where it's attached. Just a thought.

-SS
smart man.... you want the cheap crap the weakest points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts