Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently ridding a 2001 Raptor with a 2002 transmission, K&N Pro Flo Intake, Trinity Stage IV exhaust and a 12/42 Sprocket Combo.

For now I intend to leave the motor alone, figured I'd wait till it blows before I start to build on it. Right now my major concern is the suspension set up, tired and ground clearance.

Living on Long Island I grew up riding mostly sandy/loose dirt trails and sand pits, even the tracks I've spent time on were always a loose mixture of dirt and sand. However the terrain I'm riding now is a mixture of medium to large rocks and I feel as if I'm pushing the stock suspension/ground clearance beyond it's potential.

I've read a bunch on the YFZ 450 shocks, since the price is right I figured this is the right place to start. My question is taking it from there - How would I minimize the natural tippy feeling the 660 is plagued with while still increasing my ground clearance to rocks..

Which front a-arm setup (+2 / +4) will work with the 450' shocks?

Will I loose ground clearance? Can I substitute any loss of clearance with taller tires (ITP Holshot HDs?)

Thanks for the advice in advance and happy riding

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
a few things you could do here.

1/ wheel spacers
2/a-arm widening kit which uses your stock a-arms with spacers on the rear or an axle
3/ get new a-arms and axle (most expensive route but also most effective)

I believe the yfz shocks raise the front up about an inch or so. I found a nice set of aftermarket shock for a yfz and put them on the raptor they work good.

taller tires will help with ground clearance but you might want to change the gearing for the taller tire. I have 22" tires on mine and they work good also make sure they are 6 ply for the hard serfaces your riding

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Which front a-arm setup (+2 / +4) will work with the 450' shocks?
Aftermarket a-arms come in a variety of layouts but the most common is a +2/+1 which is 2 inches wider on each side and 1 inch forward on each side. You'll also likely see +3. A-arms are designated as the width added to each side, unlike a-arm extension kits which are sometimes referred to as their overall width increase.

YFZ shocks will work with +2/+1 a-arms, I ran them for a couple years, but the shocks will be a bit soft and I wouldn't recommend going full tilt in high gear over a set of whoops or trying to run motocross races with stock yfz shocks. To compensate for the increased leverage and weight of the a-arms on a 660 they could use a spring upgrade and a revalve if you're going to demand a lot from them.

Will I loose ground clearance? Can I substitute any loss of clearance with taller tires (ITP Holshot HDs?)
The yfz shocks on wider a-arms will sit lower than stock shocks on stock a-arms, but you can increase the ride height by increasing the preload.

Taller tires is the only way to increase ground clearance in the rear, and I would suggest that if you increase the rear tire size you go up in the front as well. 23" front/22" rear tire setups are common among those looking for extra ground clearance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I wish I still had the privilege to ride sand but truthfully I'm just happy to be riding.

Would you recommend starting with the 450 shocks and upgrading the springs and revalving the 450 shocks? Or at that point is it just worth it to invest in some Elka (or that of the like) shocks?

Do you recommend a good trail tire? and if I do go with that tall with them I gues dropping down to a 12/40 tooth sprocket combination would make sense.

I gotta get some photos of this POS up here ha.

·
Registered
332 Posts
with a taller tire you would want lower graring. you'll need the torque to spin the extra rotating mass. with my gears, i loose like 10% speed but gain 10% torque out of it. i run HD's like your thinking about and its proven well for me in all aspects. happy shopping

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
There's a valid debate about rebuilt stock shocks vs aftermarket. It usually comes down to two things which vary from one situation/buyer to the next: Budget and expectations.

For the cost of buying and then rebuilding some YFZ or Raptor 700 shocks you can get into a new set of low to midrange aftermarket shocks. The difference likely being that the aftermarket shocks won't have as many of the adjustments as the yfz/raptor700 shocks. What needs to be determined, and what is hard for others to tell you, is how important those additional adjustments will be to you.

I was able to do a lot of trail riding on completely stock yfz shocks, but the faster you ride and the more you ask of them in terms of jumping and weight to carry, especially with wider a-arms, the more likely you are to be left wanting more. I have been very impressed with the performance of a redone set of yfz and raptor 700 shocks, likewise I am happy with the aftermarket shocks on my own quad. I say if you can give up the adjustments and still get a quality product for the same price or less I'd seriously consider new aftermarket over rebuilt OEM, but you may miss those adjustments when they're gone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a flipped rear link and 22 inch tires front and rear. It handles a lot better then before I flipped the link.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I got a set of Raptor 700 front shocks and it raised my front a little. They worked fine for me doing some light jumping and rough riding. BTW - I'm +3 on the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.