• none - go single exhaust dude!

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase dual exhaust system for my 2003 660R. There are three dual exhaust companies i can find: Barker Duals, Monster Duals, and Looney Tuned Exhaust (LTE) Duals. The main reason i am choosing duals is just for looks. From what I have seen, most high end exhaust gains are 13 horses, duals are the same. So really I'm not gaining anything more or anything less.

Barker Duals : they aren't "In Frame" and from the two pictures i have found, it looks horrible if they aren't 'in frame'. So this is out

Monster Duals : The sound from what i can find on youtube is a little... mmm... different, but look sweet. It's 'in frame' with one pipe coming out on either side. Couple pictures I have found, concidering this.

LTE Duals : Sounds cool (again from youtube, one or two clips), can't really find any pictures to see exactly if pipes come out one either side, but deffinately in frame and to be concidered.

I am just wondering what you all have experienced, suggest, and like. Also if you find some pictures or videos PLEASE send them, I need closer look at all.

*Some of you are set straight on CT exhaust and i understand. They do look great, but really for a little extra, and no loss in power, I'm going duals*

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I would say no to LTE's.

Monsters if you prefer an in frame. Or barkers if you can deal with an out of frame for an extra hp or two.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I Like the look of the inframes and the cans on the monsters but I now have a Barkers head so it only seems right for some Barkers duals when I get the cash that is, until then my Sparks will work just fine. I wish the 660 cans were tilted the same as the 700's because they look sweet on the 700's.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Personally, I like the look of the OOF Barkers, but I'm that guy who would burn the crap out of my legs :lol:

Monsters hands down if you're buying new. Not a fan of the LTE's on the 660 w/ the crossover mid pipe. If you find a great deal on them though, worth considering IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Didn't expect everyone to downgrade LTE like that. I thought they were pretty good, guess not. Well seeing as Monster and Barker are tied, I'm left the other way now. Which of the two are better all around? Sound? Looks? Horsepower gain? - still the burning of the legs don't appeal to me, but I mean if Barker looks better, sounds better and gains more power. Burns must be sacrificed.

Also, does anyone know if Monster Duals have a "quiet core"? I know Barkers does, loss of 1.5hp. Can't see anything for Monster though.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
LTE's are not a bad system, don't let us steer you wrong there. They were one of the first dual systems on the market, and they do perform well.

One of the main issues is that the original design didn't allow for the clearance needed for FCR carbs due to the crossover pipe. I think this is remedied on the newer pipes, but I know LTE does offer at least a different mid-pipe you can buy now that will allow you to run FCRs.

Another issue is that your headpipes are different lengths (again due to this crossover) unlike the other systems. Not a HUGE deal, but a disadvantage when comparing them to the other options.

Personally, I think the quality is lacking a bit on the LTEs in comparison to Barker or Monster, they just seem a bit cheaper and the craftsmanship isn't as good as the others.

But again, if you find a good deal on a decent used set, I wouldn't discount them entirely.

as far as Barker vs. Monster: Really up to you. Barkers are PROVEN to make great power, I've yet to see a dyno comparison between the two. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a dyno chart at all for Monsters on a 660 yet, still waiting for that one.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Oh, and yes- There are QC's for Monster pipes. TQS sells them for about $20/ea and the site says they lower them by about 4db.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i have a single but if i were to go for duals i would buy monsters. i dont like the out of frame barkers becuase like seg said i would burn my legs off.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Lots of people who complain about those barkers, lots who won't ride my 660 because of those pipes...I wear jeans and unless the heat shields fall off or my jeans ride up and expose my naked leg I never get burnt.

If I had it to do again, I'd have bought the barkers again because I didn't want to spend thousands on a motor to give up hp to another set of duals. Monsters weren't available back then, and as Seg said they're still unproven IMO.

If you're just doing it for looks, the OOF look will get a lot more pairs of eyes on your bike than the inframes will from my experience comparing them to a very similar raptor with LTE's.

But the barkers aren't for everyone, and for most recreational guys these days I'd have to suggest the Monsters despite not knowing how they perform. They claim they're better than LTE, so that's good enough I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of people who complain about those barkers, lots who won't ride my 660 because of those pipes...I wear jeans and unless the heat shields fall off or my jeans ride up and expose my naked leg I never get burnt.
That's awesome to hear your personal experience, thanks dude!

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I voted monster just because I think the in-frame is a clean looking setup that looks a little more natural (stock). Another thing to consider is the Monsters I think require you to move a bunch of wiring and stuff to let the left pipe through the frame. Just seems like it would be too much of a hassle to me.

I've never really had any trouble with my out-frame Barkers but when riding hard on a rough terrain I sometimes get forward of the heat shield. I never ride without jeans on at least so its not really too big a deal. I also like the looks of the straight back pipe. Gives more of an aftermarket look.

I'd say Barker if you don't want to move the wiring and aren't worried about riding in shorts (which I think is a bad idea anyway). Monsters if you think you want to ride in shorts and mess with moving wiring around.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I have aslo herd of guys buying a second set of heat shields. Put a layer of fiberglass insulation or cork gasket material between them. That way it will reduce the surface temp of the heat shield.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hell I ride a banshee in the summer with shorts, Now you only burn your legs a dozen or so times and you learn:lol: but I am the one you see riding in the shorts with the tall @ss riding boots on because I just can't wear jeans in the summer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i voted for monsters. if you're looking for power at any cost, the barkers, from what i've been reading, have it. but the in-frame design of the monsters keeps the bike more.. ridable i guess is the word. if you're not looking for every hp you can wring out of the bike, and are looking for ridability, imho, monsters or a good single is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I think that the Barker cans look the best. But I wouldn't get them because of the OOF, it doesnt look as clean as the others. I voted Monsters.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i voted for monsters. if you're looking for power at any cost, the barkers, from what i've been reading, have it. but the in-frame design of the monsters keeps the bike more.. ridable i guess is the word. if you're not looking for every hp you can wring out of the bike, and are looking for ridability, imho, monsters or a good single is the way to go.
I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood... you say Barkers make the bike unridable??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Monster dual db readings

I have a set of monster duals on my quad and love them. I do not know what the db reading is with/without the qc. Maybe someone here can tell you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood... you say Barkers make the bike unridable??
i probably misspoke. what i mean to say is, those pipes are something you have to keep in your head. you have to worry about your friends burning themselves on them. ruining a perfectly good pair of riding pants. inadvertantly burning yourself.

in my case, i take off on my quad probably 4 or 5 times a day on average. some days it's less, maybe i was working. some days it's more, but rarely do i do it fully geared for a day of riding. it's usually in sneakers and shorts to buzz to my uncles or my neighbors or something. i'll sit on my quad and shoot the shit with somebody. since i'm not concerned with the extra hp or 2 the barkers are going to get me over the monsters, the in frame design makes more sense for me.

imho, it also makes more sense for somebody who might ride similarly to me, or who will have friends or family riding. or that might occasionally take their kids for rides.

maybe we should swap "ridable" with "user friendly"

·
GIVE'ER SUM
569 Posts
i like the monsters looks and power wise but ive never heard or rode any of the other pipes so i really cant say much. as for install of the monsters is not at all the bad. one down fall of the monsters is that they DONT come with the heatshields and for the price to buy them seprat is sum what not worth the money to me. trinity is all so makin duals but i think just for the 700. i could be wrong on that. well thats my 2cents

1 - 20 of 37 Posts