Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the build is coming on nicely (gsx750f katana engine in 660 frame) im just waiting on the engine monts back from the machining place, but i think im need some help from you guys that have done the conversions before.

ok the weight is more forward (frame extended by 4") and the the engine is heavier and im using a +8 swinger and road use only, with all these factors will a standard shock cope or am i going to get lever affect (dipping and the join with the frame) in the swing arm? i can get the stock shock strengthened up by a company called falcon who do some pretty cool stuff with shocks and springs but im trying to cut the cost down a bit the other option is to go out and buy an after market rear shock that can cope with these factor, also with a +8 will the stock shock even fit or is that depended on the swing arm?

lastly im also looking at +3 a-arms again will i need long travel shocks or dose this only matter if they are long travel a-arms

sorry for the many questions i just wont to make sure its all safe as the engine will be stage 3 and that power on the road mean i dont wont to eat concrete at 80+mph lol

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Long travel shocks won't work on standard travel a-arms. If it were me and I had spent the money to do the conversion I wouldn't skimp on the suspension. But I've never done the street bike conversion and I'm gettin primed to par-tae so don't listen to me :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long travel shocks won't work on standard travel a-arms. If it were me and I had spent the money to do the conversion I wouldn't skimp on the suspension. But I've never done the street bike conversion and I'm gettin primed to par-tae so don't listen to me :lol:
thanks m8 i think im going to go with standard travel a-arms to keep it simple, its not going on the ruff stuff so no real problems with that, but the swinger issue has got me, i dont mind parting with the cash for shock just dont wont to if i dont have to lol budget been smashed upto £5000 so far

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Did the shock position change on the swinger? I've never dealt with ext. swing arms so I don't know if the mount locations changes. If the mount got moved back I would guess you would need a longer shock or at least have you shock stiffened up. I don't know though just guessin. Here's a bump for someone that might know though. Got any pictures of your build? I love me some road legal bikes!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the shock position change on the swinger? I've never dealt with ext. swing arms so I don't know if the mount locations changes. If the mount got moved back I would guess you would need a longer shock or at least have you shock stiffened up. I don't know though just guessin. Here's a bump for someone that might know though. Got any pictures of your build? I love me some road legal bikes!
hi m8 i havnt got the swing arm yet im just trying to pre-empt a problem that may need sorting lol ill get some pics up soon

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
A stock shock won't be up to the task. I don't know what falcon mean when they tell you they will "strengthen" your rear shock, but all you really need for this is a stiffer rear spring. You're not going to be going off road so besides the launch the internals of the shock won't be a huge detriment. No idea what you've got over there for parts sources, but over here a rear spring is about 125 dollars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A stock shock won't be up to the task. I don't know what falcon mean when they tell you they will "strengthen" your rear shock, but all you really need for this is a stiffer rear spring. You're not going to be going off road so besides the launch the internals of the shock won't be a huge detriment. No idea what you've got over there for parts sources, but over here a rear spring is about 125 dollars.

that was the answer i wonted mad dog your a star think i may look to get a set of kw springs for it with the money i have saved on a new set of shocks lol

thanks

shane

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which Spring...

Hi Mike

Any chance of a link to a website that sells the kind of spring you would suggest would work?

Im looking at running a +6 swing arm, stock reah shock and (currently) KW spring.

If all I need to do is change the spring thats great but I have no idea what spring I would need to get :eek:

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Doug

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
On my +6 I needed more than just a new spring because I was riding in the dunes and trails. Titan will likely be riding on flat ground where the rear shock will not be asked to move around too much. It would perform better with new valving as well as a new spring, but the spring alone would get him by for now based on his budget.

One of our site sponsors, wiigstyle racing suspension, should have all the answers you need on the specifics of spring rates and applications

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148

1 - 9 of 9 Posts