Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I finally got around to taking my cheap ass Raptor on the trails this weekend, and after coming from dirt bikes, it was a blast not having to worry about riding in the deep sand where I was, super fun sliding through the corners and stuff.

The issue though, the suspension setup was just absolute crap. It honestly felt like it wasn't doing anything. When on the hard washboard sections I honestly couldn't hold on to the handlebars, even with loosening the grip and grabbing the tank with my knees.

I'm 6'8", 290lbs, and want to know how I can stiffen up the suspesnion on the cheaper end. Should I just jack up the preload or should I look into a spring or entire shock swap?

Thanks!
Shea

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,571 Posts
The 700 shock spring wasn't meant to hold that much weight. I have a HD rear spring I got from our shock guru JOGACA (Kevin), for sale. Then get HD springs for your front shocks and a re-valve by JOGACA. I also have a anti vibe steering stem with bar mounts that's 1 1/2 taller then the factory stem.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 700 shock spring wasn't meant to hold that much weight. I have a HD rear spring I got from our shock guru JOGACA (Kevin), for sale. Then get HD springs for your front shocks and a re-valve by JOGACA. I also have a anti vibe steering stem with bar mounts that's 1 1/2 taller then the factory stem.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
Thanks! Glad to be here! I forgot to mention that it's a Raptor 660, not a 700. Does the 700 suspension work on the 660?

·
Registered
579 Posts
You need shocks built. Your too big for the machine, not a bad thing as i was too small for mine. Kevin can build your shocks 1/3rd cost of elkas.

You can put yfz450 front shocks on but the stock rear 660r shock is fine one it's sprung and valved fir your size abd mods. Throwing a did shock on and not doing any mods to it is not a upgrade. Call Kevin get your shocks done over winter, if not deal with it and save for elkas. He's done 3 machines for me.

No one can offer anymore help as we lead you to the water, you must choose to drink now or walk away lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Kevin's (Jogaca) number is 480-262-3216. He lives in Arizona, so keep that in mind when you call, don't know what time zone you are in.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,571 Posts
Thanks! Glad to be here! I forgot to mention that it's a Raptor 660, not a 700. Does the 700 suspension work on the 660?
Sorry, my bad, I was thinking 700. The spring won't fit. But, as said some re-sprung and re-valved shocks by JOGACA will do wonders for you. He'll need your weight and riding style to build good shocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts