Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding MX bikes for years and am a bit obsessive about suspension tuning. This being my first quad (2010 Raptor 350) I am interested setting up the suspension properly. I plan on using the Raptor for 90% Hare Scrambles type trails and 10% MX.

First thing I usually do on a bike is set the sag. Is there a baseline setting on the Raptor for sag? The manual only gives a range to work within.

On a bike I normally get the rear shock setup before touching the front forks. Is this the recommended procedure on a quad as well?

Right now the Raptor feels like it plows the front end when entering corners, to the point where it is hard to turn the handlebars. On a bike I would call it a "stinkbug" stance.

I really want to get the stock suspension adjusted before I consider aftermarket parts.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wysguy

did you ever get an answer to your question?

I just bought a Rap 350 for my son, and I want to set the sag to match his weight as well. It was a night and day difference when I did this on my DS650, so I'm surprised that you did not get an answer for how to set it on the 350.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing you can really set on stock suspension is preload
Correct.

What I'm looking for is something similar to instructions I've found for setting sag for my DS650. Basically you measure the height of some fixed point on the back of the bike with the suspension completely unloaded. Then, you sit on the quad, cycle the suspension up a down a couple of times, and measure it again while you are sitting on it. You want the sag to be somewhere between 4-5 inches.

Anybody know what the recommended sag is for the Rap 350?

I did find in the users manual for the 350 (page 4-16) to set the preload of the rear shock. It recommends three different distances relative to the length of the shock to set for hard, standard, and soft. Since I'm setting this up for my 12 year old who weighs 120lbs, we are going to set it to the maximum distance (full soft) and start from there.

Same idea for the fronts. If you rotate the adjuster ring all the way CCW, you have it at the softest setting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts