Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok enough strained wrists and the constart jarring especially after I had my left one dislocated at work.....

What suspension setup should I go with? My tax return should be in soon so I'll have the spare cash to blow haha..... Could I just change out the front shocks and rear shock or should I go ahead and get a full front set-up along with a rear shock. I dont want to spend a shitload of $$$ but this stock stuff SUCKS! Any help out there woudl be appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Personally I'd rebuild the rear with good components (Elka/TCS) and go new on the fronts.

Which one you end up getting and with what bells and whistles will depend on a few things. First off, what kind of riding are you primarliy worried about?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maddog56 said:
Personally I'd rebuild the rear with good components (Elka/TCS) and go new on the fronts.

Which one you end up getting and with what bells and whistles will depend on a few things. First off, what kind of riding are you primarliy worried about?
I ride trails, I dont visit the track on this bike. I've built it to be a trail beast and be able to fly in straight line too. I need something that can handle big bumps, rocks, quick bumps etc etc. Similar I guess to a GNCC setup that can handle rough stuff too.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You may not want to go too wide on the a-arms if your trails are tight, but I'd probably throw some +1 or +2 arms on there along with a midrange triple rate shock. You will probably want resiviours to keep things cool over those long rough sections. I'd look at TCS and Elka's Sport/Recreation series. Compression, rebound and pre-load control are nice but can add a good chunk of change to the price. Zero preload will drop your ride height but you may not want that if you've got obstacles on the trail to get over.

I'll let someone with a little more shock experience chime in but I'd make a couple phonecalls to retailers of these shocks and have a chat. They should be able to help you figure out what you want while you figure out what they have to offer.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maddog56 said:
You may not want to go too wide on the a-arms if your trails are tight, but I'd probably throw some +1 or +2 arms on there along with a midrange triple rate shock. You will probably want resiviours to keep things cool over those long rough sections. I'd look at TCS and Elka's Sport/Recreation series. Compression, rebound and pre-load control are nice but can add a good chunk of change to the price. Zero preload will drop your ride height but you may not want that if you've got obstacles on the trail to get over.

I'll let someone with a little more shock experience chime in but I'd make a couple phonecalls to retailers of these shocks and have a chat. They should be able to help you figure out what you want while you figure out what they have to offer.
Thanks maddog! Always got a quick answer for everyone on this site. I have sent some PM's off along with an email to atvsuspensiontech.com about a laegars +2 with tcs triple rates+resovoirs.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
When i do my front end here in a couple weeks i am going to run Houser +2 with Elka Triple Rate, piggyback rezzies and Comp Adj. I am going to order it through houser.... here is the link, scroll down and check the package for it... http://www.houser-racing.com/Home.jsp

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you are a average trail rider I would get the iShock 5500 kit. My bro has one on his 700 and with the right setup(now that I helped him) it handles like a dream. He let me race it as my bike was down. I felt very competitve with it. I raced a desert race with it. Most of the other guys had long travle and $iht load of cash in there suspension I was able to hang with them with a $1500 kit. Plus I never actually raced his bike to the fullest. The rear was stock put it handeled like a dream with a +2 setup up front and a +3 axle in the rear. I would really consisdered this setup if I were to ride trail's mostly with some racing or aggressive rider. Just my thought into this. Put it is up to you. Spend a lot of money on something you will probably never use or spend less with a great kit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Desert Racer said:
If you are a average trail rider I would get the iShock 5500 kit. My bro has one on his 700 and with the right setup(now that I helped him) it handles like a dream. He let me race it as my bike was down. I felt very competitve with it. I raced a desert race with it. Most of the other guys had long travle and $iht load of cash in there suspension I was able to hang with them with a $1500 kit. Plus I never actually raced his bike to the fullest. The rear was stock put it handeled like a dream with a +2 setup up front and a +3 axle in the rear. I would really consisdered this setup if I were to ride trail's mostly with some racing or aggressive rider. Just my thought into this. Put it is up to you. Spend a lot of money on something you will probably never use or spend less with a great kit.

I hear you on that. I raced for about 5 years so my "trail" riding isnt like most I think.... I spend alot of time in 4th gear wide open even in tight trails its just alot of fun pushing it to its limits.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
03Rappy660 said:
Thanks maddog! Always got a quick answer for everyone on this site. I have sent some PM's off along with an email to atvsuspensiontech.com about a laegars +2 with tcs triple rates+resovoirs.
Thats the same thing I bought, I also got the zps option too, had to get the rear done to match so that added $450 but the change from stock is amazing.
Are you having Joe do a kit? include the brake lines and clamps?
A buddy rode my raptor after riding his stock banshee, said it rode like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
firstraptor said:
03Rappy660 said:
Thats the same thing I bought, I also got the zps option too, had to get the rear done to match so that added $450 but the change from stock is amazing.
Are you having Joe do a kit? include the brake lines and clamps?
A buddy rode my raptor after riding his stock banshee, said it rode like a Cadillac.
Thats what I wanted to hear! Seems like I'm sold on that setup then, but a better deal is needed for me to ass out the cash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
try also getting a pair of fasst co. flexx bars heard they help people with bad wrists. suspension helps a lot but maybe just some handle bars might be your best fix ?!! 8)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
erased660R said:
try also getting a pair of fasst co. flexx bars heard they help people with bad wrists. suspension helps a lot but maybe just some handle bars might be your best fix ?!! 8)
I ordered a set tonight 8).... I'm hoping something will help, also I got a different stabilizer so maybe that will help out also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
right on let me know how they help ... they better help a crap load for how much $ they are .. but rigtht on enjoy :grin_nod: 8)

lance

·
Registered
177 Posts
after i sell my motior cycle next week i am going with thte plus 2 full flight a arms with elka shocks. full flight has packages on ebay with either elkas or works shocks, the elka packaage is like 110 and the works package is 950.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look at the Alba Racing front end. Everyting is included.
That's what i have and i am very please with it. The price is not bad for the entire kit.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i liked the alba kit, but the shocks wouldnt be nice enough. If they offered them with another shock, i would have gone with those.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can choose what ever Elka's shock that will suite you for your type of riding. Give them a call. They show only one kind of shocks on theire web site.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts