Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:

I was riding with a friend who just bought a 400 quad sport. We were riding side by side on a wide trail, and we were both givin'er. He was right beside me. Right then, I knew I was gonna get pissed. We lined them up on the black top, (because my tires are shot) we both popped the front ends up, he came down first, and I couldn't catch him. Maybe I should have started in second. :mad: He's about 20 lbs lighter than me. I rode his machine, and it seemed to pull about the same as mine, but it felt about 100 lbs lighter.

I have a 12t front sprocket, so I thought for sure I'd be able to take him off the line, apparently not.

I don't get it. His machine is bone stock, mine is pretty stock also, except for the front sprocket. He can pull wheelies in 3rd with no problem. I can, but not always. Mine is an '04, I bought it with about 20-30 hours on it and I've kept up with the oil changes, and I just cleaned the filter. I haven't adjusted the valves yet. Is it time? I'm lost, I really thought I should have had him easily.

On another note, I raced a piped Honda 400ex the day before, I smoked him by a long shot every time.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i was having trouble choosing between the z400 and the 660....they say that z is a bad machine....all around greatness....but i am a yamaha guy and i love that yamaha blue and white so i had to get the 660

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Few things to take into consideration;

The 12 tooth is for the trails, it's not supposed to make you faster when you race a buddy down the street. If you want to do that kind of stuff you need different gearing or at least a 2nd gear holeshot.

The zuki and it's clones are only supposed to be about 30-45 pounds lighter when wet but I believe it could be more when actually weighed in. They are balanced differently with a chassis setup that lends itself more to balanced wheelies and controllability in the air. They are better bikes for those looking to be on huevos videos.

The updates in 05 increased power, not quite up to the 450 par but enough to break the 30hp mark. That combined with lighter weight and weight distribution that allows for quicker starts means it's going to be closer than you might think.

Valves should be checked and lash set every 10 hours or so, 20 at the most.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the perspective Mad Dog. I know that the 12t is for trail riding, which is what I do, but I thought it might give me a little bit of an edge on take off. But I'm a newb, and I'll be the first to admit it. As for checking the valves, I really know nothing about it, I guess I need to to a bit of reading. Do you have any links that could help me out?

As much as I love my rappy, I gotta say, the z400 feels pretty damn good. It shifts MUCH smoother than mine and the handling is pretty close also. I wouldn't steer anyone away from buying one.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
raptortranny.com has a guide on setting valve lash. Very informative. You shouldn't expect to stomp all over 450s and such because they are all pretty damn close. You shouldn't have been beating a piped honda when you are stock. Spend a little and make some mods. Then you can stomp all over him.

·
Registered
441 Posts
krinkle said:
:mad:

I was riding with a friend who just bought a 400 quad sport. We were riding side by side on a wide trail, and we were both givin'er. He was right beside me. Right then, I knew I was gonna get pissed. We lined them up on the black top, (because my tires are shot) we both popped the front ends up, he came down first, and I couldn't catch him. Maybe I should have started in second. :mad: He's about 20 lbs lighter than me. I rode his machine, and it seemed to pull about the same as mine, but it felt about 100 lbs lighter.

I have a 12t front sprocket, so I thought for sure I'd be able to take him off the line, apparently not.

I don't get it. His machine is bone stock, mine is pretty stock also, except for the front sprocket. He can pull wheelies in 3rd with no problem. I can, but not always. Mine is an '04, I bought it with about 20-30 hours on it and I've kept up with the oil changes, and I just cleaned the filter. I haven't adjusted the valves yet. Is it time? I'm lost, I really thought I should have had him easily.

On another note, I raced a piped Honda 400ex the day before, I smoked him by a long shot every time.
Theres alot of variables that come into play
The rider..... Experienced or In experienced
The machine.... Mods or stock also how well tuned.
Weight is also a factor as well as tires.
Right now being that you are running with a 12T front sprocket, means you have alot of torque and jackshiit for speed.
Whens the last time you changed your spark plug? You should definatly get a full exhaust system, a pro-flow intake kit and rejet your carbs if your looking for performance gains. I've rode a z400 and didn't really think it was anything special, now my buddies LTR 450, thats a totally different story. It sounds like something isn't right though, even stock for stock you should have still been able to beat him. Here is the stock Hp specs
Yamaha Raptor 660R --------> 35srwhp / 399lbs = 0.0877 hp per pound Suzuki Z400---------------- -> 32srwhp / 370lbs = 0.0865 hp per pound

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have two buddies that ride z400 one is a 2003 they other is a 2004. The 2003 is stock except tires and he removed the spark arrestor,plus he weighs 100lbs more then me but I beat him badly when all I had was a slip on. The 2004 has a full exhaust and I had a slip on we were dead even but my stock tires were shot. Now I have a full system and a sir intake and larger tires I beat them both badly.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I own both machines, and yes, you should have started in 2nd, I always do..

I am putting some money into my gf's (my payment!) z to beat up on my buddies 660... hes about 330 pounds, shes about 150, shouldnt be too hard :)

They pull pretty well, and like said earlier, are WHEELIE MACHINES.... I cant ride wheelies very well on my bike, but her bike with less torque I can ride them for quite a bit longer....

All being said, stock to stock, you should have taken him... start in 2nd next time, ride the bars a little bit and keep your front end down.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'm right there with you Nate, 660 for me and Z for my wifey. It's really a great bike, I wanted to stay in the Yamaha family and get her a 350 Rappy, but when you look at them, there is really no contest. I just put a pipe, K&N, and Dynojet kit in the Z and boy did that even wake it up. Stock intake and exhaust on the Z sucks, I got the cheap-o Jardine pipe and just removed the snorkel cover on the airbox, and those two thnigs let me go up something like six sizes on the main jet (not exactly sure since the new jets are DJ). All in all, they are a good bike, and like Mad Dog said, I think they are more than 30-45 pounds lighter, I can pick the Z up to turn sideways on the trailer way easier than my Rappy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a Z right after I bought my Raptor. We both went and put the same aftermarket parts on ours (Yosh pipe, Dyno Jet Kit, K&N Filter, Holeshots). Then after the were all broke in we lined them up and I was able to win by 7-8 bike lengths. The Z's are very solid quads, and I now have a 12T sprocket on mine and I can tell a huge difference over stock when it comes to top speed. Had you had the 13T stock sprocket on there then you should have easily won, and I would say if you started in 2nd, you would still win.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
i got an 04 raptor when it was stock i raced my friend and he had a new 04 z400 it was stock me and him are about the same size riders he had nothing on the 660 right front the start he was eatting my dirt everytime. we toped his out after the drags and his 5th toped out was me in 4th gear about 3/4 on the gas when i went to 5th he was left alone again 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts