Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the regular 20" rear tires that are almost worn out. I just put a brand new set of 22" Maxxis on my Warrior that my wife is fixing to sell. If I swap the 22" tires out onto the Raptor, am I gonna hate it? I'm thinking the effective gear ratio will change quite a bit. Has anyone done this? This is the rock/trail tires - I use paddles for the sand and am not thinking of changing anything. Oh, and i have a full nerf bar setup, so could there be clearance issues?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Yes, the gear ratio will change. You'll want to throw a new front sprocket on, one tooth smaller than what you have now. (stock is 13, I would go with a 12).

You may not like the rear tires being taller than the front, it will unduly affect handling and IMO the altered ride height/position feels odd.

22" rear tires should fit with OEM heel guards, and from what I've seen they work fine with most aftermarket nerf/heel guard combos.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
For tires 20" to 22" is +10%.

For sprocket 13 to 12 is about -8%.

Net change will be +2%, so 2% less torque, 2% higher top speed - not terribly noticeable. If this doesn't do it for you, then instead, a 44 rear sprocket (as opposed to 40 stock) will offset perfectly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts