Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an 04 Raptor 660 with a twist throttle. I'm not really a fan of it and would prefer to put the thumb throttle back on (the original owner still had the stock thumb throttle). However, when I attempted to install it earlier tonight I found the cable to be too long to adjust out to make it tight enough. Using both the adjustment at the bars and the adjustment at the throttle housing I was still a good inch+ away from where I needed to be if I'm not mistaken. The original owner gave me the impression that he had not changed the cable at all but it doesn't seem possible to hook up the thumb without changing the cable length....any ideas? What would be the easiest way to fix this to get the thumb back on? I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Depends on the design but most twist throttles require a different end than most thumb throttles. It's possible that he didn't change the cable but instead modified it or had someone do it for him.

Long story short, you need a new cable with OEM ends or for whatever thumb throttle you're going to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually has the same end as the thumb throttle and appears to be OEM from what I can tell - at the very least if he did change it the new cable has the same style end for thumb throttle (just the little cylinder type piece on the end of the cable to pop in and lock into the throttle). However for the life of me I don't see how it could possibly be tightened/shortened enough as it is to get a full throttle pull on it. I'll see how the twist works today I don't really have any interest in having to hook up a new cable :mad:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Both of my twists needed more free cable at the end that attached into the throttle housing than the thumb throttle needed. Because of this even if the ends were the same there's not enough adjustment to make them work with the OEM thumb throttle.

If you don't have enough adjustment then you'll probably either have to remove an end, trim the cable and reattach or just buy a new cable.

It's a very easy swap to throw a new cable in there and OEM replacements are typically quite cheap. Motion Pro has good prices on them and Terrycable has them as well. Of course this is only if you can't make your current cable work, but honestly for the time and hassle I would personally just buy new.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my motion pro twist came with a cable that is 2" longer than stock. You probably need to find an OEM throttle cable

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whatever happened? Did you have to buy an oem cable? I'm having the same problem with my raptor. :mad:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You could always route it differently. If he gave you the OEM one that he replaced, you should be able to bolt it right back up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The cable lenghts are not the same for the stock thumb throttle and twists. The thumb throttle works off of straight leverage. The twist throttle pulls on the cable in a wrapping motion and requires more length to make it reach the end of the throw. I would buy an OEM for sure. IMO its not worth the few bucks you would save by cutting and putting your own end back on, versus snapping the splice job in a tight situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never ended up swapping it until yesterday...actually had taken it out and down through the yard to put some new stuff on and snapped the old cable inside of the housing.....put some new Pro Taper SE bars on and the stock length cable only to find out I'm coming up short?? :unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts