Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the bearings pulled out of the front mount point for the stock swinger. Not talking about the rear with axle, those are out. They seemed tight still, but I want to pull them and re-grease while I am painting the swinger. I am using a slide hammer bearing puller and they won't budge. Any ideas without having to destroy them and buy new?

I have never had trouble pulling bearings before so I'm a little confused why these are putting up such a fight. The grease is brown, muddy, rusty, etc but wth!

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
Might have to destroy them to get them out. I have also crossed that bridge before. They are not that expensive. And then you might as well install 2 sets, more load bearing surface in total. Meaning 2 x bearings on each side.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to salvage them so I don't have to wait to get it back together and ride. I wish I had planned ahead and ordered them at same time that I ordered the new rear carrier and double row bearings, which is in my possession now. I may try heating up the aluminum with a torch.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never underestimate the power of fire! Helping cavemen for centuries. :D

They are out and I think they are salvageable.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,566 Posts
As said, there is enough room for extra bearings/bushings for more support.

·
10,566 Posts
You can also add a zerk fitting to the factory carrier. If interested I can add instructions.

Also, welcome back to the Raptor side.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After degreasing I found one is not good. So new ones it is. I'm hoping my local bearing distributor can just cross match them. I may add another not sure its needed since they have a sleeve at the other end for support.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there, it is an old post but i decided to give it a try. I am taking my swing arm apart for powder coating. After i pulled the inner tube i found there is a needle bearing on the outside and a bushing on the inside of the swing arm with space in between them. Does it matter which way i press them out and also is there a specific depth that i need to press the bearing and bushing back in?

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Hi there, it is an old post but i decided to give it a try. I am taking my swing arm apart for powder coating. After i pulled the inner tube i found there is a needle bearing on the outside and a bushing on the inside of the swing arm with space in between them. Does it matter which way i press them out and also is there a specific depth that i need to press the bearing and bushing back in?
the bore is straight and smooth, you can press/drive bearings out either direction. The easiest method I’ve found it to heat the pivot tube with torch and knock the bushings out first with a punch. I then find a socket that fits the bore well, insert it where the bushing was, insert a long extension through the other side, and drive bearing out.

there isn’t a specific depth. I use 2 bearings and no bushing. The outside bearing just needs to be inside the tube, the inside one needs to be deep enough to install the seal. There is actually room for 3 bearings in each pivot tube.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't reuse the bearings.
You Will distort the cage as you remove it, even if you can't see it.
Buy new ones, it'll save you from redoing the job sooner than later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the bore is straight and smooth, you can press/drive bearings out either direction. The easiest method I’ve found it to heat the pivot tube with torch and knock the bushings out first with a punch. I then find a socket that fits the bore well, insert it where the bushing was, insert a long extension through the other side, and drive bearing out.

there isn’t a specific depth. I use 2 bearings and no bushing. The outside bearing just needs to be inside the tube, the inside one needs to be deep enough to install the seal. There is actually room for 3 bearings in each pivot tube.
Thanks for quick reply. I managed to remove them with a piece of 8 inch treaded bolt and 21mm socket. Home made bearing press 😉. So you just use 2 bearings. One on the outside and the other one on the inside in place of bushing. The oil seal goes on the inside part right? I found a Moose bearing kit which includes 2 bearings per each side and a bushing. Will give it a shot.

·
10,566 Posts
Yes, there is room for 3 bearings or bushings per side. Any combination works. All bearings, 2 bearings and one bushing, 2 bushings and one bearing, or all bushings. I like either 2 bearings and one bushing in the center or 2 bushings and one bearing in the center. If the kit doesn't come with 6 pieces you might have to buy 2 kits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, there is room for 3 bearings or bushings per side. Any combination works. All bearings, 2 bearings and one bushing, 2 bushings and one bearing, or all bushings. I like either 2 bearings and one bushing in the center or 2 bushings and one bearing in the center. If the kit doesn't come with 6 pieces you might have to buy 2 kits.
Thanks guys.👍

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Oil
Thanks for quick reply. I managed to remove them with a piece of 8 inch treaded bolt and 21mm socket. Home made bearing press 😉. So you just use 2 bearings. One on the outside and the other one on the inside in place of bushing. The oil seal goes on the inside part right? I found a Moose bearing kit which includes 2 bearings per each side and a bushing. Will give it a shot.
Yep, seal on the inside part that contacts the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts