1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
PRM makes quality stuff and absolutely get the .250 thickness for the swing-arm.

PRM, Pro-Armour, GYTR all have good skids and Im sure others are nice as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I bought the Lone Star Racing skid and it didn't fit. I sent it back and got a GYTR.

The GYTR fit like a glove.

I have zero regrets except maybe not going with GYTR the first time around.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Also armadillo fits great too.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Pro armors is very nice and very durable. Bolts right up perfect. 1/4 inch thick aluminum. It takes a beating.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you all have trouble with you swingarm skids getting hung up on stuff? I never upgraded my swingarm skid. I had heard that the aluminum get hung up on stuff easier than the plastic stocks. I have had no problems with the stocker yet but it is getting thin. :eek:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I switched to the aluminum because I know how rough the area I ride in is and how rough I am on stuff. Plastic won't cut for me. My swinger never gets hung up. I drag it a lot but if you keep up momentum most of the time it will slide right over it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I got the DG .250 and wasn't to impressed with the design but after this weekend I should take a look at it and see how well it held up, I had numerous times where I had a big "chunk" sound from a nice 10 mile road trip rocky road, but my rotor and rear gear are still straight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
Do you all have trouble with you swingarm skids getting hung up on stuff? I never upgraded my swingarm skid. I had heard that the aluminum get hung up on stuff easier than the plastic stocks. I have had no problems with the stocker yet but it is getting thin. :eek:
personaly ive never once had my swingarm get hung up on anything. and some of the places ive been i probably shouldnt have been there :lol:.
but that stock plastic was the absolute first thing to go. it beats having to replace a sprocket and chain, or get your rotor bent in half and have to drag the bike out of the woods or even worse yet bust that rear casing open.
and even if you do end up getting hung up, it wont be because of the aluminum, you would get hung up just as easy with plastic. weight and forward momentum keep it moving, if something is that big to reach up and grab you it realy doesnt matter what type of material its made of. just my experiance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just put my skids (GYTR) on last night & went riding in some pretty rocky terrain. The swingarm skid hangs a little low & hit a lot of rocks. I'm thinking instead of going to a 15 tooth front sprocket, I'll be going to 22" tires to get more ground clearance.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
That is another thing i have read. That some skidders ride lower than others. I have seen different designs as well. Some very similar to the stock plastic ones, and i know one i have seen was completely Flat one the bottom. (might have been the UM brand not 100% sure). I don't ride in alot of Rocky areas. There are rocks don't get me wrong but it isn't like some of you guys out west that all you have is rock. I do have alot of down trees to contend with. I am thinking that might be where the guys are saying they get hung up with the aluminum skids, where the plastic ones just kinda slide over. But i am with you guys give it enough hell and you should slide over what material.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
That is another thing i have read. That some skidders ride lower than others. I have seen different designs as well. Some very similar to the stock plastic ones, and i know one i have seen was completely Flat one the bottom. (might have been the UM brand not 100% sure).
Ya, thats the UM one. I have it and ground clearance is terrible on it. Its tough as hell but I lost about 2" of ground clearance over the stock one. :eek:

Others that dont have that flat area on the bottom are much better and dont get hung up as often. If I didnt get such a good deal on mine ( free 8) ) then I would of gone a different route.

·
Registered
314 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
That is another thing i have read. That some skidders ride lower than others. I have seen different designs as well. Some very similar to the stock plastic ones, and i know one i have seen was completely Flat one the bottom. (might have been the UM brand not 100% sure). I don't ride in alot of Rocky areas. There are rocks don't get me wrong but it isn't like some of you guys out west that all you have is rock. I do have alot of down trees to contend with. I am thinking that might be where the guys are saying they get hung up with the aluminum skids, where the plastic ones just kinda slide over. But i am with you guys give it enough hell and you should slide over what material.
ahh yeah i think i see what your saying. some do hang a bit lower than stock. mine i think is near half an inch lower. even still i feel alot better knowing its at least protected, but thats just my oppinion.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I went with GYTR. They look good and seem strong. I've been tough on them and no prob so far. :thumbsup: It was the first mod I made. I put on skids before I went on my first ride!

·
Registered
644 Posts
warren said:
i want to get an aftermarket swingarm skid plate for my raptor i was thinking about this one http://www.sweetquads.com/index.php?action=item&id=639&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=12in the .250 series. i want a bullet proof skid or something damn close to it. anyone run anything else and like ie? and how well has it held up for you?
I have a PRM 190 thickness and the only thing I dont like about it is there isn't enough clearence between the sproket/brake rotor and the skid plate. After a while, the flaps bend up and start to rub. This can bend rotors and eat up some HP.

And DONT GET UM!!!!! I destroyed that one in 3 months. If anyone want's to see pics tell me how to insert a picture into a reply. (Your gonna want to see this!!!)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
BigGixxerJim said:
And DONT GET UM!!!!! I destroyed that one in 3 months. If anyone want's to see pics tell me how to insert a picture into a reply. (Your gonna want to see this!!!)
I'd like to see that pic. I dont like my UM (only becuase of ground clearance) but have had it for about 6 months now and nailed it hard about a billion times. I'd like to see what I should keep an eye out for.

To post a pic, go to www.tinypic.com and insert your pic, then highlight the middle link they provide labeled "IMG code" and highlight that link and paste it into your reply here on this website and it will show up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
BigGixxerJim said:
warren said:
i want to get an aftermarket swingarm skid plate for my raptor i was thinking about this one http://www.sweetquads.com/index.php?action=item&id=639&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=12in the .250 series. i want a bullet proof skid or something damn close to it. anyone run anything else and like ie? and how well has it held up for you?
I have a PRM 190 thickness and the only thing I dont like about it is there isn't enough clearence between the sproket/brake rotor and the skid plate. After a while, the flaps bend up and start to rub. This can bend rotors and eat up some HP.

I agree on the UM comment. I have one on my sons 300ex and that thing is close to touching rotor/gear from bending, all because of my original concerns, no gusseting in the center.

My AC and DG are holding up great.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
birdog said:
I went with GYTR. They look good and seem strong. I've been tough on them and no prob so far. :thumbsup: It was the first mod I made. I put on skids before I went on my first ride!
Hope yave a belly skid on there now. That is the most important one :eek: Don't want a broken case.

·
Registered
621 Posts
pile0g00 said:
birdog said:
Hope yave a belly skid on there now. That is the most important one :eek: Don't want a broken case.
Yea... I do. The dealership was out when I picked up my Rappy so he mailed me one a few days latter. I went on one ride with the plastic one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts