Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've disassembled everythng from the Swingarm and back on my 700 (doing a bunch of upgrading). Anyway, as I pulled the swingarm off, I noticed it has roller bearings inside. Are those pressed in? I couldn't find a simple way to remove them. I'm wondering because I want to get it powercoated, and don't want the heat to mess them up..

Thanks,

J

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I've disassembled everythng from the Swingarm and back on my 700 (doing a bunch of upgrading). Anyway, as I pulled the swingarm off, I noticed it has roller bearings inside. Are those pressed in? I couldn't find a simple way to remove them. I'm wondering because I want to get it powercoated, and don't want the heat to mess them up..

Thanks,

J

You would want to remove them before powder coating....They are pressed in.....If you are going to replace them...which I would reccommend, since you have it apart....you can remove them yourself by pounding them out from the opposite side with a punch or other implement....When you do this, you will destroy them....lol....which is why you will want to replace them when removed by this method.

If you want to have someone else do it...find a auto or machine shop in your area that can press them out for you.

Putting them back in....new ones....lol....can be accomplished by tapping them in lightly with a socket and hammer....the socket should be sized to match the outer deminsions of the bearing race, so as not to harm the bearings. This is not a difficult thing to do...just take your time and don`t pound the crap out of them.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Hey, thanks!

I noticed you have a nice collection of Raptors indicated in your signature :)

Any of those with the stock swingarm, or did you go with an extended one?
Don hit it right on the head. I have been able to drive them out with socket and hammer and reuse them. Its easier than pressing them in my opinion.

His bikes are all stock no mods or swingarms on them. Right Don?

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Don hit it right on the head. I have been able to drive them out with socket and hammer and reuse them. Its easier than pressing them in my opinion.

His bikes are all stock no mods or swingarms on them. Right Don?

Lol....Robert....don`t pick on the innocent !

Jmeccia.....Robert is right on this, also.....If you`re very carefull, you can get `em out with a socket sized to the bearing and they`re still useable....I don`t usually do this, as when I`m taking something this far, I prefer to just put in new ones, as I`m old, lazy and I don`t want to redo `em again too soon....lol !

I have lots of stock swingarms....they are all under my house in a big box.....lol......No, All my swingarms on my bikes are extended....+4, +6 and +8.....a ride for all reasons, if you know what I mean.

BTW.....Be sure to grease the hell out of them when you go to put your swinger back on.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
How often do you replace your trail bikes bearings?
Do you buy a koyo bearing?
Not hijacking this thread :D

Everything posted above I agree with. I would replace because I think the life span is short on a woods raptor. Sand is hard on stuff to so I am not sure on which would go out faster but my money is on woods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol....Robert....don`t pick on the innocent !
.....Be sure to grease the hell out of them when you go to put your swinger back on.
So, maybe this is a "newbie" question, but how, exactley, are you removing them? I get with a socket and hammer - but are you knocking them in, or out? Plus, I'm more inclined to just replace them with aftermarket bearings -- may as well since Im this far, do you get new ones pressed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Bearings go out quicker by far in the woods. In the woods, you have to deal with sloppy, wet mud holes that bearings seem to not like so much.

Hour wise, I'm not sure how often to replace them. Rider A could just tool around on the trails, not caring how fast he is, and go around every puddle. Rider B, on the other hand, could be a GNCC racer on the trails training for his next race.

I just replace carrier bearings when I start to notice a little axle slop.

-Andy

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
So, maybe this is a "newbie" question, but how, exactley, are you removing them? I get with a socket and hammer - but are you knocking them in, or out? Plus, I'm more inclined to just replace them with aftermarket bearings -- may as well since Im this far, do you get new ones pressed?

Thanks!
First you get a socket that just fits down in the swingarm pivot tube. next get a extension and install it backwards on the socket. Then drive the bearing out. You can reinstall bearings the same way. You can press them but they are not in as tight as you would think they are.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
First you get a socket that just fits down in the swingarm pivot tube. next get a extension and install it backwards on the socket. Then drive the bearing out. You can reinstall bearings the same way. You can press them but they are not in as tight as you would think they are.

Yup. what Robert said.....lol !.....:D.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
:lol: what type of bearing are you guys running (I am guessing he will ask that next)

I buy them from my local ATV shop...he buys them bulk.....They are a much better quality than stock or Pivot Works....I have bought the set from Pivot Works and ended up throwing them away, they were so crappy....the roller needles were so loose that they were falling out before I even tried to put them in....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I buy them from my local ATV shop...he buys them bulk.....They are a much better quality than stock or Pivot Works....I have bought the set from Pivot Works and ended up throwing them away, they were so crappy....the roller needles were so loose that they were falling out before I even tried to put them in....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

I put the Pivot Works bearings in my '05 yfz, and they seem decent to me. Can't complain for a $55 kit. I only put about 20 hours on those bearings before I started parting that yfz out. They still seem to be solid.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I put the Pivot Works bearings in my '05 yfz, and they seem decent to me. Can't complain for a $55 kit. I only put about 20 hours on those bearings before I started parting that yfz out. They still seem to be solid.

Could be I just got a defective set, but I was not impressed with any part of the Pivot Works swingarm kit....Even the dust covers were pre-rusted....lol.......JMHO !

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Could be I just got a defective set, but I was not impressed with any part of the Pivot Works swingarm kit....Even the dust covers were pre-rusted....lol.......JMHO !

~ Sandaddy 8)
Pre-rusted!?!? lmao! sounds defective to me :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts