Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again warriors!

I am currently working on the rear end of my 02 Rappy. I took the swingarm off of the Raptor and dug out all the old bearings and spacers and replaced them with an All Balls kit that I got. The problem I am running into is the swingarm does not want to go back on. It doesnt seem like it is just tight I mean in physically will not go on. I think the problem area is the left side of the swingarm, the spacer that goes on the very end facing out and the pivot spacer, its like they are too wide. The "male" piece that comes off of the case that has a hole on either side has those little elevated nubs that it seems like the pivot spacers on either side sit into. The pivot spacers are just contacting them and preventing me from seating the arm and lining the holes up. The last owner I believe used an all balls kit as well based on the parts that came out of the swingarm when I disassembled it. There was no used spacer to be found. My concern there is that they used washers or something else to fill the left side void of that spacer and the play that was in it was the fact that there was no spacer there and things werent tight. Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone had any tricks or cheats to help get this arm back in with it literally being that tight. I didnt just want to start beating on it with a wood block and hammer. Thanks in advance men!!! As always, if you need clarifications or pics or anything for more info, let me know!!!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Are you talking about the pivot bearings or the axle bearings.

Be sure the pivot bearings and seals are seated all the way in. The end caps need seated too. Slid the bolt thru first, to be sure the bearings are aligned.
If the swing arm wont go back in the frame, then yes, it may need persuasion with a dead blow and wood block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha! I actually ended up machining .20 off of the spacer and she slid right in and is tight and secure. I'm wondering if maybe the frame isn't bent or something. I know it was rolled by the previous owner. Now my problem is that the chain is tightening and loosening as I spin the wheel. I cant figure out why because I replaced the axle, bearing carrier, sprocket collar, sprockets, chain, rear caliper and rear rotor. Should the front sprocket have play with the chain off? Or does that mean the splines on the shaft are bad? Thanks for the reply!!! You have to forgive me, I use the forums to think out loud at times!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Time to get out the dial indicator. Chances are the output shaft is bent, and the sprocket wobbles.
Or the rear sprocket isn't seated proper. small burr or piece of sand can throw off alignment. Or a bad Chinese sprocket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ughhhh doa then. I will check but if thats the case, cant really find that shaft. As in to purchase a new one.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ughhhh doa then. I will check but if thats the case, cant really find that shaft. As in to purchase a new one.
You can get a new countershaft from several places if you end up needing one.
Yamahapartshouse
Partzilla
Rocky mtn atv
and there are several more oem Yamaha parts dealers.
They are easy to find.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok cool! Thanks for the reply. I looked on Partzilla and Motosport.com and they say they are unavailable but I will check the other parts sellers as well that you listed, thanks!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ok cool! Thanks for the reply. I looked on Partzilla and Motosport.com and they say they are unavailable but I will check the other parts sellers as well that you listed, thanks!
I just checked 7 different oem part sites and none of them have the countershaft.
Very strange.
I would contact a Yamaha dealer, or Yamaha themselves if a dealer cannot help.
The law requires the manufacturers to supply all oem parts as replacements for 25 years.
So they have to come up with something.
But hopefully you don't need one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh awesome, I did not know that was a law. Yeah I am gonna get everything checked out before I try to get one but thanks alot for the information!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts