Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of the members here have made the switch from a YFZ450 to the 700R. My Question is simply...WHY?

Along with your reasoning...please include your type of riding, style of riding, and BUDGET.

You may be asking...why do I wanna know?

My buddy is contemplating buying a used or new YFZ450...and I've been trying to talk him into the 700R...as I've heard its a pretty MEAN machine...and I kinda want to ride one as well :). (none around here)

·
Registered
130 Posts
i had a 450 before my 700 and i loved it but im glad i did switch the 700 is an all around better machine because it has reverse and it is more comfortableto ride power wise i think the 450s are quicker but the 700 has alot more torque and it doesnt fell like you are working the 700 as much to go fast because of the bigger motor the 450s are always reved out .

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well i didnt make the switch either, but my buddy down the street has a YFZ450, intake, lid, piped, jetted etc etc. I gotta say its a very nice machine, it looks great and is easy to control but its definitely more race than recreation where the raptor is the opposite. racing the 450 when the raptor was bone stock was suprisingly close. Of course the modded YFZ was faster but it wasnt night and day, he could pull hard on me but just couldnt seem to pass me. In the woods, the raptor is way more trail friendly than the 450 for some reason, and is about 100% more comfortable. I cant wait to get my mods on and see how it pans out this weekend, but my opinion is that the raptor and YFZ are both excellent machines, and you have to pick which one is more suited to your style. i will say one thing though: the modded YFZ is about 100 times easier to wheelie than the stock raptor, but we'll have to see how that chages when i get the exhaust and intake installed and tuned.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've not made the swtich but, I've ridden with a pipe, filter and jetted 450. It was so close in riding that he simply could not leave me in the trails. Numerous times we had to back up....I stayed put while he got off in mud and had to push it around. It was very nice having that reverse :thumbsup:

Another thought about the 450 is higher maint costs because it's reving higher and horsepower is not what wears engines...it's the reving. He always has to rev the hell out of the bike to keep up while I'm in the middle RPM range. Comfort all out for the 700R after 6-8 hours of riding. Lastly I like the torque the 700 had in comparison. The 450 is almost a 2 stroke style powerband and therefore it's almost a race only bike. Handling for sure for the 450 since in fact it's a race bike

Thanks my thoughts....again I've yet to be left by any 450 period. Rider has a lot to do with it....but he's damn good IMO and rode the hell out of the bike trying to "Make a point" and simply never did except to talk about how he was tired of "pushing the bike around" when we needed reverse :grin_nod:

Mike

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
As alot of people have said the 700 is a more all around bike rather then a race bike like the 450. The 450 is quick and handles great but is somewhat uncomfartable to ride for very long. Its great having reverse and this nice cushy seat not to mention the FI. 8)

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 450 is a mx machine imo. Just depends on what kinda riding your doing.

Tell us what kind of riding hes doing and what his budget is.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a 06 Raptor 700, and my buddy has a 04 450 with full yosh exhaust, intake and jet kit, and -1 tooth sproket in the front. I have nothing but an aluminum airbox and -2 teeth on the rear sproket. He weighs 170 lbs, me 230. And he STILL cant pull on me! I definitely do take him in the top end, by 2-3 mph.

Those 450's are fast, however they have a very narrow powerband and the riding position is cramped. It goesnt have gobs of torque that the 7 does, but just as much hp. Things people have to realize:

1. All things equal, the 700 will always beat a 450 in a race. It may weigh more by 30 lbs, but at least 25 of that is in the motor. Unless the compression is MUCH lower in the 700 (which 9.9 out of 10 it isn't that big of a difference), the 700 will win. NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

2. The 450's were made a race bikes and this has much trickle down to how it affects the bike as a recreational piece. It's very short and low, helping the center of gravity. This can also be attributed to the fact that raptors are wheelie kings (this I like!!!), it's simple physics. In the raptors, both the top end of the motors and the radiators are significantly higher in the chassis than a 450. A little more tippy, yes. But thats what you have to put up with.

3. If I were mx racing, in no way would I ever buy a raptor. It's not set up for it. But I don't ride mx. I ride trails and a few jumps. For that reason, I would never buy a 450 over my 7. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
BigGixxerJim said:
3. If I were mx racing, in no way would I ever buy a raptor. It's not set up for it. But I don't ride mx. I ride trails and a few jumps. For that reason, I would never buy a 450 over my 7. :thumbsup:
I think the raptor would be decent on the mx track, dont you? I would love to race down at the local hare scrambles and mx events(nothing major down there usually), but im still questioning the track strength of the 700.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have both and can tell you that either one will give you hours of fun. Both have CT Racings pipes, Pro Flow intakes and computer (jets on the 450). Both are silly fast. The 700 is much more comfortable. I can dune for 3 hours non-stop on the 700 and feel just fine. A couple of hours on the 450 is a different story. You are constantly shifting and revving the piss out of the 450 to keep up with the 700's. I know it is meant to rev and seems to like it but it is a little hyper for me. Maybe if I were 18 and full of energy I would pick the 450 but I'll keep the Rappy for now.
I rarely shift out of third while riding in the dunes. I use second to take off and just use the torque in third to get around after that. On the 450 it is second, third, fourth, third, fourth, second, third, second constantly.
The two bikes with equal mods and equal riders- the 700 wins by 3 lengths every time. Riders switch bikes and it's the same story.
When my 99lb. daughter rides the 450 and I'm on the 700, it's much tighter as you can imagine. (she wins by the way). Her on the 700 and me on her 450 is a disgrace.
I guess it is personal preference. He can't go wrong with either one.
Does he have an argument as to why he wants the 450?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His argument as to why he wants the YFZ is that he rode the 05' YFZ that I owned (and sold)...and he liked it a lot. But...he has never ridden a Raptor...350, 660, or 700.

I've owned 2 450cc class machines. A 2005 YFZ..which I sold a couple months ago, and a 2005 TRX450R...which is my current ride. So, I know what these machines are good at, how they handle, and what type of power they have.

I have never ridden a 700r...and I wanted to get your guy's side of the story...as I have no experience with them...only second hand information. Just wanted to get some facts straight before presenting some information to him.

Thanks for your guy's input...it is much appreciated!

·
Registered
517 Posts
headingnorth said:
I have both and can tell you that either one will give you hours of fun. Both have CT Racings pipes, Pro Flow intakes and computer (jets on the 450). Both are silly fast. The 700 is much more comfortable. I can dune for 3 hours non-stop on the 700 and feel just fine. A couple of hours on the 450 is a different story. You are constantly shifting and revving the piss out of the 450 to keep up with the 700's. I know it is meant to rev and seems to like it but it is a little hyper for me. Maybe if I were 18 and full of energy I would pick the 450 but I'll keep the Rappy for now.
I rarely shift out of third while riding in the dunes. I use second to take off and just use the torque in third to get around after that. On the 450 it is second, third, fourth, third, fourth, second, third, second constantly.
The two bikes with equal mods and equal riders- the 700 wins by 3 lengths every time. Riders switch bikes and it's the same story.
Same type of experiance with 450 vs. 700!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
For my first post, I would like to start off by saying this is a great site and will be very helpfull with my new Raptor.

I had an 05 YFZ450 and I loved the bike. Very quick and nimble would be the best way to describe it. However I do alot of desert riding and sand. For this the bike didnt quite work for me. Very uncomfortable on long rides and the vibration killed me. It also seemed to heat up real quick and would bake your leg on the pipe.

So I bought an 07 Raptor 700. Very comfortable and tons of power. Not as quick but very fast. Doesnt heat up like the 450 and I could ride it all day in comfort. Suspension is great and I just bought a set of 07 450 front shocks for the front. We will see what a difference they make. Glad I made the switch, and you cant beat the fuel injection.

My next mod will be putting the GNCC Tires and getting rid of the Dunlops.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have not made the switch...but I have plenty of seat time on a friends '06 YFZ. It feels faster than the 700 because of the narrow powerband, but the 700 is, in fact, a lot faster. My friend weights around 170 wet, and I am at 230 or so. I still leave him about 4-5 lengths behind me. When I hop on the YFZ, I can stay within 1/2 length of my 700. This is because he has only been riding for 6-8 months now, while I have 12 years under my belt. (Both machines were stock when this happened. It was before I modded my 700).

I ride woods, trails, and fire roads (I live in the Appalachian Mtns), and would choose the 700 any day over the YFZ. The YFZ was made for the track, and doesnt really handle the woods well. It doesnt have the torque for them either. You are either slipping the clutch or constantly shifting.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
I MXed mine for 3.5 hours almost nonstop saturday and all together went 30+ someodd miles according to my buddys odometer on his CRF250 that was with us. I wasnt at all wore out and I was hittin all the jumps...even the 60ft triple.

·
Registered
60 Posts
well im just a drag racer my yfz turned a 4.6 in sand on a slow track the yfz is just a small motor and ya can run out of stuff to put on them real fast! i mean the stock bore motors can make just the same as the 523's can the reasone they dont work is because the heads wont flow enough so its kinda pointless to go with a big bore motor! heres a pic of my old yfz!.....ok well heres some pics of my old yfz's..

the reason i went to a 700r i think yfz's are startin to be over rated! and the 700rs are awsome bikes to ride around! i just hope i can figure out a way to put it on alky too.... i hope i can make it faster than the yfz but im fixin to dump some nitours and all the other works to it.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts