Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by asking forgivness in advance if this has been discussed. The search button was of no help to me. I will be switching to synthetic oil soon and was wondering if anybody had a favorite choice they would like to recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Amsoil :thumbsup: Just about any synthetic oil is a good idea. As long as it is approved for wet clutches. DO NOT use automotive synthetic.

·
Registered
579 Posts
BJH said:
Amsoil :thumbsup: Just about any synthetic oil is a good idea. As long as it is approved for wet clutches. DO NOT use automotive synthetic.
DITTO

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mobil 1 MXR4

·
Registered
112 Posts
I always used the Honda non moly (gold bottle) synthetic in my Z400. I will probabley stick with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just my 2 cents here but in the manual it states DO NOT USE A BETTER QUALITY OIL than specified. a good idea is to find a service guy at the dealership that really knows what hes doing and ask him. I work part time for a shop that unfortunately sells polaris and suzuki but has a good ties to a yami dealer. if you cant get a good answer yourself ill try to check into it for you guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
seebr900 said:
just my 2 cents here but in the manual it states DO NOT USE A BETTER QUALITY OIL than specified. a good idea is to find a service guy at the dealership that really knows what hes doing and ask him. I work part time for a shop that unfortunately sells polaris and suzuki but has a good ties to a yami dealer. if you cant get a good answer yourself ill try to check into it for you guys.
ever get to find out?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am using the Motul 300v 4T stuff (I forget the weight), but it works good for me and it is approved for a wet system.

Mr. C

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Oddly enough, when I e-mailed Amsoil to get their recommendation. They replied with a diesel grade. When I asked why because the manual specifically says "do not use diesel grades" He replied that Amsoil does not use the ingredients the manual speaks of.

At any rate. I'm using Amsoil 0-40 Powersports formula.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BJH thats wierd because they specifically make 4 stroke oil for atv's and pwc's. You are definitely using the correct oil 0w-40. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask me.

Craig

·
Registered
78 Posts
There's no reason you can't use an entire littany of oil depending on what temps you ride in. There's a viscosity chart in the owner's manual that shows what the preferred oil weights are. It's a huge spectrum if you ride in normal temps.

I personally do not like 0 weight oils especially on high power engines like the 700. ...just me but I don't ride my stuff below 32degrees either. What makes it even worse (in my decision making process) is the very small quantity of oil our rappys carry. I'd rather have at least 3 quarts, I'd take the weight penalty any day. To put it in perspective my old DS650 held about 4 quarts of oil.

I like the Amsoil 10-40 but I could also use the Amsoil 20-50 and be perfectly within what Yamaha says I can run.

The bottom line on all this stuff is we would need to do oil analysis to say which one lasts and protects better. I'm pretty anal but I don't like I'll bother with that time and expense now.

R

·
0 Posts
so u guyz are saying for an aftermarket engine that amsoil 0w-40 or 20w-50 is good?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't run the 0-40 in a modified motor without doing oil analysis. I am not saying it will blow up but you have a ton of money wrapped up in this machine, spend the $15-$20 some time to send off an oil sample and see how it comes back.

The only way to KNOW if your chosen oil viscosity and/or your change interval is safe is by reading a scientific report.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts