Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i´ve got a tachometer that marks up to 11krpm and i would like to install it to my rappy, can anyone help with some input on the ignition coil wires?? some pics would be great, thx.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im watching this thread :) Please post your tach pics if you can and how your going to mount it. Hope you questions gets replied fast sorry I was`nt the one to answer your question but had to reply cause this is a good topic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol im no the only one that wants to put a tach on a rappy, say its not for "perfect shifting" but i think it would look very nice watch a needle top 9krpm very fast. oh yeah i forgot, the tach i got (a friend gave it to me cause he didnt like it) is for automotive application, it´s got the 4,6,8 cylinder adjustment switch, (not sure if would wor correctly :3question:) but anyways im trying to get one specially designed for one-cylinder applications. thx

·
Registered
320 Posts
keep me informed if it works are not. Your prob going to need a motorcycle type tach. I dont thank a 4/6/8cyl will work thank again i might be wrong never hoooked one up. Going to research on e-bay into motorcycle tachs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would like to get a tachometer from a DS650 baja x those would work for shure, well anyways, can anyone post some info or pics on location and color of the wires of the ign coil??

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Use a service manual for the wiring diagrams.

A 4/6/8 tach will not work without an aftermarket cdi designed with a tach input (Dyna and maybe vortex).

I've not found any analog single cylinder tachs that exceed 10krpm, and those that are above 8krpm will not last long on an atv off road.

There are numerous digital tachs out there that will work on a single cylinder application.

Trail tech has recently released their digital unit, you can find a number of threads about them here on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Luke2005 said:
Auto-meter makes the tach for the ds650. I would try talking to them.
They recommended the jr. dragster tach when I talked to them, but it only goes up to 8k rpm. They might have something new availible since that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one from 'High Lifter', made for quads, goes to 12K, nice tac, very helpful on shifting, it's got a backlite , so it's easy to see at nite. The only thing I didn't like was the mount, so I made my own. I shift at 6800rpm, or at least that's my prefered shift point, not much to be gained after that....I have an '01, Powroll 770. I've looked at the Trail Tec, not too sure if I like it or not, I'll have to see one first....Mike
***\modified/*** I didn't know they stopped selling them, I've had mine ,, seems like forever, since they first came out, I haven't had any problem with mine, I hope it keeps on keeping on, or I'll have to look closer at the Trail Tec.....MB

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
They discontinued the Highlifter tach because of poor reliability, they kept breaking. Last time I checked Highlifter they didn't have any left and weren't advertising them for sale.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will keep looking on an analog one. think a needle goingo up to 9k very fast would look nice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got an e-mail from auto meter. I asked them if they could calibrate a tach to work for 1ppr and if there is any way to buy thwe bombardier tach. and this is what he said.

"Thanks for your inquiry. All of our Pro Cycle tachs will calibrate to 1 pulse per revolution. However, many ATV applications have a unique waveform and other factors that may prevent proper tach operation. Bombardier tachometers are only available through authorized Bombardier dealers."

Here's a tach that will work but it's 3 3/4".

http://procycle.autometer.com/CatalogGaugeDetail.aspx?gid=134

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like that, yet, not sure about intallation :3question:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so, the ones that want the tach, should stick to the other one, will check some more, anyways, its not for performance/racing, just to se how revs rise... and rise... and keep rising :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts