Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just started getting this sound from my bike that sounds kinda wierd i know yamaha normally has a slight tapping sound but this is kind of a slapping sound and it worry's me.... the bike has had no change in performance but i am not running a rotella type oil and maybe that is why just need some insight... please help.... also the bike has big bore kit

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
What is a Rotella type oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah ill try... its like a crank clacking noise... if i am standing in front of the bike i can hear it pretty good and if i stand behind the bike i cant hear it at all... sounds like a its serious but like i said it goes away if i rev it up and the bike still rips around like nothing is wrong

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Dosnt sound like valves need adjustment. Tke off the gas tank and check upper mounting bolts. They can make quite a racket if loose. Thes engines will vibrate quite a lot. Cranks will only make noise if the piston pin wears out or lower rod bearing. Check the simple stuff first. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Good call Dog 86!!! Forgot that one. Pull your timing chain adjuster and see if it is almost maxed out. The shaft with notches will be out quite a way. This means your chain is streached and needs replacing. It can "slap" on the inside of the cyinder or head cases.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a similar knocking noise that we finally tracked down to one of the 30+mm nuts on the clutch side that wasnt tight, I cant remember which one it was but it is another thing to check especially if it has ever had a crank replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys and i will try and start tracking it down... this is the first forum that i have ever been on that people have really tried to help me out.... also does anyone know where i can get a good set of graphics for my raptor like monster graphics or some name brand company's... just want it to look like a race bike lol

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Thats what I thought he was talking about with the oil, I use to use it when I drove a truck.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
thanks guys and i will try and start tracking it down... this is the first forum that i have ever been on that people have really tried to help me out.... also does anyone know where i can get a good set of graphics for my raptor like monster graphics or some name brand company's... just want it to look like a race bike lol
Try Rocky Mountain Atv or e-bay for graphics. Remember, each graphic will add 1mph;) Welcome to the forum

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I had a similar knocking noise that we finally tracked down to one of the 30+mm nuts on the clutch side that wasn't tight, I cant remember which one it was but it is another thing to check especially if it has ever had a crank replaced.
Probably the nut that secures the counterbalancer gear, or the one on the end of the crank that holds the drive gears, I have seen these be loose on occasion............

·
Registered
167 Posts
Probably the nut that secures the counterbalancer gear, or the one on the end of the crank that holds the drive gears, I have seen these be loose on occasion............
Ya I think it was on the end of the crank but it has been long enough I cant really remember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts