Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to finally time crack the motor open and see what I REALLY did to the tranny. While I'm in there, I'm gonna toss a few goodies in, for good measure. What I'm looking for is any advice, tips, heads up, opinions, etc...
It's not gonna be real radical, but it should be a lil healthier.
Here's a list of intended parts: the hotrods 719 kit, The crank/rod combo and the recommended Vertex piston. Stage 3 cam/spring kit. Yukon HD tranny gears.
Barker in frame duals with the recommended jet kit. For now I'll stick with the stock carbs (FCRs come later) I guess part of what I need to know is, will the stock carb be enuff with the jets? My CPU is a BigGun over rev..I don't really know much about that. I'm sure a carb/cpu upgrade will help, but that will be later. Is it ok to bore my cylinder, or do I need a sleeve? What's an average price for porting? Oh yeah, I also got the K&N filter and the billet deal it plugs into, w open airbox. I'm trying to keep the budget to around 2 grand.. Note I say "around" which is a fairly loose term here...How loose? depends on my actual refund..should know more 2mro. If anyone has this combo I speak of, or close to it... what can I expect over stock?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
You can bore it up 102mm. Is there a reason for no head work. I did not do any do to time constraints. I had to go out of town for work for a month and wanted it DONE so when I came home for a weekend I could go ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I'm not sure how much headwork cost, I know it will bring it to life, anything to help it breathe is free horsepower(except for the cost of the work lol). I'm not beyond pulling the head a few times, I just wanna do the interior work while I got it open that far. Headwork is DEFINITELY in the future. Speaking of, do you know if the vertex piston will accept a larger valve without machine work on it? Also, it says this pitson is a 9.2:1 CR..is there a way to bump that up? IS there a thinner head or base gasket available? Would this possibly bump it at least .8? It is a 102mm piston, so I'm good there. Can the combustion chamber be welded on to decrease volume?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
the stroker crank will take it up about .75 on the compression. I used a CP piston when I did mine. Will be breaking it in friday or sat since I finally have everything to finish the job. then it will be off to the dyno.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vertex says it must be used with the stroker crank, but advertises 9.2 CR ...wouldn't that be with the stroker taken in account?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Have no idea. I just got mine running and took it for a 3 mile ride tonight.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
The barker cranks bump it up in compression but they don't use a stroker piston. The HR cranks don't give the extra bump due to it being figured already. You can get a JE 11:1 or a CP 10.5:1 stroker piston for about 200. For 250 you can get a 13.5:1 Kenz piston made by CP to. There are a few options out there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks dog, I need to consider I'll probly only runnin 91 octane, so I figure around 10:1?

·
Registered
881 Posts
U also need to consider dynamic compression and static compression. Google it. Then consider your talking about a stage 3 cam.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I ran a 11:1 JE on a HR stroker crank with a stage 3 cam and has no issues running 91-93. I even ran 87 a few times and didn't have any issues but you should be fine with any of those piston choices.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
coolbeans, If I go any wilder there is a small airport just down the road...they sell av-gas...

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Av-gas is made for SLOW RPM engines and to run at a higher altitude, plus it has lead in it. That is why it is called low lead.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Av-gas is made for SLOW RPM engines and to run at a higher altitude, plus it has lead in it. That is why it is called low lead.
Not that I doubt what you say, but HOW slow are you talking about? ...Oh...OK I see now... I just wiki'd the answers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts