Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I addition to shifting the lever on the side of the tank back, what else is needed? Foot shift? Then I imagine shifting the bike into forward is just the reverse process?

If this isn't an external linkage issue... I am really looking at having to pull the motor and splitting the case. If that's what it comes to... I will go ahead and replace the trans gears and clutch.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
There's not much to it really. Looks like its a rod and not a cable. I assume you have checked that rod and linkages. Probably next would be to remove the right side cover so you can linspect the clutch and look for damage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I went full committ on this one... pulled the motor. Nothing like taking apart everything you just put together. I pulled the right side cover and saw pieces of a gear down there, so out the motor came. I had a bad feeling... even told Morph the other day that I thought I was going to have to crack the case... So I ordered a whole engine gasket kit just in case... glad I did.

So I fired up the computer and scoped out the manuals, cleaned off the workbench and got to work! Fortunately I got that spare crankcase which was a lifesaver! Its like shopping for OEM parts.

The motor in the bike didnt have any clutches/steels. But the parts motor had what looked like brand new ones!

The motor installed had a brand new looking wiseco and the cylinder looked awesome! Nice cross hatch on the walls, performance piston rod installed too (nice bonus).

I pulled the offending gear stack out and found replaced the whole stack from parts from the good crankcase. I could tell someone had been in the installed motor before, newish gaskets and there was some transmission parts that were installed incorrectly (backwards). There was also tub and tile silicone on EVERY MATING SURFACE! If you see a guy in the caulk isle at home depot in MX gear... kick him in the @$$ for me.

After about 8 hours and 2 trips to autozone, I got it back together. Its a lil late to be firing her off, but it shifts good now and I imagine that it should run just fine.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I get home today, kiss wife, hug kids, walk down into the garage. I hit the start button... nada...WTF?!... Button... nada. Realize that I didnt reconnect the starter wire. Ha. Barely touch the button and she popped right off.

SHE RUNS!!! And quickly... holy crap this thing is fun. The clutch I took out of the spare case had a heavy duty clutch in it. I was worried because it didnt seem like it was fully disengaged when I would pull the lever... turns out it works just fine.

Here are some pics from yesterday...

Pulled cover and found an empty basket.
Then saw something in the bottom of the case. Pulled out part of a gear. Split both cases, took what I needed out of the spare, bolted the motor back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
And I recommend these to anybody working on old hardware... these extractors made it easy!

The I replaced the wore out socket cap hardware with standard oem hex heads off the spare crankcase.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,011 Posts
That is excellent news!! We assume you took it for a spin?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Holy Crap! That was fast. What was actually broken?
One of the drive gears and no clutches/steels in the basket! hahaha

That is excellent news!! We assume you took it for a spin?
Oh yeah! Its a brisk 30 something degrees here today... and I hadn't tuned the carb yet. So that made idling a little difficult, but I got it running good enough to take a hot lap.

Wife said she could see me smiling behind my full face helmet! hahahaha..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Welp, day 2 of her running. I am still fiddle farting with the carb adjustment. I wanted to get her to idle first, a little difficult with these colder temps. I did have it cut off on my when I got on the throttle, then clutched it and cruised for a sec... so I think I really need to play with the jets some.

I have a uni and the modified stock exhaust. So I am going to try a 150 main and see how it works out.

Bottom line... I took it out for another quick spin! Rolled out and back into the garage under her own power (it might have cut off once or twice, but she is still moving on her own!)

More updates after I get this carb tuned right.

Fellas... thanks a ton for all the info, insight and guidance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Okay, I have a couple different sizes of main jets coming, a 150, 152.5 and a 155. I also ordered a new seat cover and a neutral switch. At that point, she should be a whole new bike! haha.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I have a uni and the modified stock exhaust. So I am going to try a 150 main and see how it works out.
I have not screwed with the jetting on my 350. It's all stock except the spark arrestor was removed, but seems to run correctly without it. I sure hope you got this bike for a good price....considering....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I got the bike and spare crankcase for 500 bucks. After all the parts I have ordered, I am at about 725 total give or take a dollar or two. I did unload an old go kart for 450 the day before I bought this. So, man math = $275 out of pocket investment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Okay, new mains came in a day early... so I might as well snatch the carb back off... I am pretty damn good at taking this bike apart and reassembling stuff if I say so myself!

For build documentation in case I forget... I installed a 155 main and backed the air/fuel screw out 3 full turns.

I know...I broke a cardinal rule and changed 2 items at once.

My oldest asked to ride hers around a bit... so I will test mine out and see how she does and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not sure what I did to deserve this kinda karma...

Fired it off yesterday afternoon.
Pulled carb, rejet
Reinstalled and let it sit
Went to fire it off this morning, and she just kept cranking (probably kept it cranking too long)
It hiccups made a "studder" kinda noise, then the starter sounds like a winch spooling and the crank barely turns.

I dont think its the battery because I tried jumping the bike off my car. I also put a socket on the crank bolt and the motor turns so the motor isn't seized, even has some compression.

I am hoping it is just the starter... but I swapped to the other starter off the spare crankcase... same noise. So unless they both are crap...

Bummed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
So I walked away and got to thinking about this...

I pulled the stator and cover... hit the starter button and saw that the starter, starter gear and the large crank gear (behind the magneto) were all spinning! Hence the loud noise. The crank and the flywheel however were NOT... I think a shear key somewhere let loose.

Now I need to get that damn flywheel off and see.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,046 Posts
When it rains it pores. I know it's frustrating, but just keep plugging along. In the end you'll feel a sense of accomplishment every time you ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Okay, did a little more research today... It looks like the starter gear on the crankshaft has a single direction bearing. So when that bearing wears out, the starter gear will spin with the starter and not engage the magneto/crankshaft. So for the guy who is searching google one day... "Starter spinning, bike won't start" or something like that... I hope you find this post and order a new 35 dollar "starter clutch bearing" off the interwebs.

New bearing is on the way with a proper flywheel puller. Last thing I want to do is break something because I am impatient.

So in the meantime, I cleaned up some other parts and painted. I also got my seat cover in the mail, so I started working on reupholstering the seat.

Got some honey-do's knocked out around the house while I'm waiting for parts to arrive... gotta stay in good graces with the wife as more parts show up for the bike! hahaha.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Puller came in a couple days early! So I snatched the magneto off and the problem made itself apparent. Bad bearing! I checked the mating surfaces and they were lightly scratched. So I am going to take and sand the rough spots out while I wait for the new bearing to arrive Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,011 Posts
Well, if I have any issues on our 350 I bet I can look through this thread and PM you for advice, you have darn near everything covered. Good job with resolving and posting pics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, if I have any issues on our 350 I bet I can look through this thread and PM you for advice, you have darn near everything covered. Good job with resolving and posting pics.
Morph, I'll help ya out anytime bro! I hope you never experience the amount of issues I have! hahaha. Fortunately, I pride myself on being a pretty patient and meticulous guy.

So I thoroughly enjoy buying something neglected by someone for a good deal and rebuilding it to something great.
I have done it with a few cars, motorcycles, jeeps/trucks and even a couple boats. With all my projects, I search the internet to find someone out there that has the same problem I'm experiencing... my hope is that there will be some people who can benefit from my exercise in patience that I have documented in this thread!

Bearing should be here tomorrow... the bike should be put back together in less than 30 mins! I am getting pretty damn good at pulling this thing apart and rebuilding it. hahahaha

41 - 60 of 75 Posts