Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Why?

The legal limit in Michigan is 96db. Without a quiet core, every pipe on the market is well over that number.

The alba is, at most, 1-2db louder than the majority of other pipes. There are louder pipes than the alba, but not that many. My point is that you won't notice the difference between 102db and 104db, so why not worry about getting a good pipe instead of focusing on the noise it makes?

·
Registered
371 Posts
i heard they were real loud from a friend but never heard them, i have a hmf sports pipe and its plentty loud for me. why do you want a loud one

·
Registered
364 Posts
i have a alba full exhaust and yes it is extremely loud......to the point where it can be annoying. I've run from cops a couple of times on the dunes and luckily got away....threw it in the trailer for a couple of hours and had a few beers.....that sheriff was looking too but eventually gave up. I wouldn't mind trading someone for another full exhaust that is quieter. This Alba is very powerful but very loud....trade anyone??

Max

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sparks (big core) had more noise complaints than I can count and only been a few weeks. I raced a bike today with the full alba system and jets/stage 1 hotcam and beat him by 5lengths. It was a LOUD bike but no louder than mine was.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the rider makes all the difference.....I have a buddy that can beat people that I can't on my own bike all because of his riders experience.......he knows how to ride~!!!!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I say you should just get the barkers duals, others will be louder, but you'll be faster. :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rt said:
I say you should just get the barkers duals, others will be louder, but you'll be faster. :lol:
thats all that matters 8)..they were actually my first choice the price tag just drove me away a little bit but i'd still like to get them..that just means i'll have to work a bit more :lol:

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
They're obnoxiously and annoyingly loud without the quiet cores, and with the quiet cores they don't breathe worth a damn. If I had to do it again, I'd opt for the LTEs. Almost as much power, significantly quieter, and no burnt legs and ankles. Tim gave me a decent deal on his though, so I went with them.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Maddog56 said:
They're obnoxiously and annoyingly loud without the quiet cores, and with the quiet cores they don't breathe worth a damn. If I had to do it again, I'd opt for the LTEs. Almost as much power, significantly quieter, and no burnt legs and ankles. Tim gave me a decent deal on his though, so I went with them.
I'm just the opposite, I had LTEs and sold them to buy Barkers and never looked back. I was never happy with my LTEs, they fit like crap and I could never get past the clearance issues with the accelerator pump on the FCRs. I trail ride with my Barkers and have never once burned any part of my body or clothing on them. If wanted, for 40 bucks you can get quiet cores and spark arrestors for the Barker pipes too.

They are loud, but its a good loud and not an annoying loud like a T4...to me anyway. Of course everyone has different preferences or they would only make one pipe, just making the point that for every person who prefers lte over barker there is another that feels the other way around.

No one will argue which pipe delivers superior power though.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I ran the MBRP single while everyone else around here was running sparks. Mine was much quiter. I find that my Barkers are much quiter than the Sparks or similar singles and more power to boot. The LTE does sound good to but like many I dont care for the fit.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
CoalShedRacing said:
Maddog56 said:
I'm just the opposite, I had LTEs and sold them to buy Barkers and never looked back. I was never happy with my LTEs, they fit like crap and I could never get past the clearance issues with the accelerator pump on the FCRs. I trail ride with my Barkers and have never once burned any part of my body or clothing on them. If wanted, for 40 bucks you can get quiet cores and spark arrestors for the Barker pipes too.

They are loud, but its a good loud and not an annoying loud like a T4...to me anyway. Of course everyone has different preferences or they would only make one pipe, just making the point that for every person who prefers lte over barker there is another that feels the other way around.

No one will argue which pipe delivers superior power though.
I too trail ride with the barkers, but I'm not one for riding boots and pants. That's one of the advantages of an atv, it shouldn't be as important to have big uncomfortable boots and expensive pants. My attire is usually a pair of jeans and a decent pair of mid cut boots. I don't get myself on every ride but when I do I think twice about my riding gear and my pipe choice. I can't wear snomobile gear on the ice because the pipes burn right through every material except a thick canvas or a leather/suede patch.

I've got the quiet cores for them, and they're essentially useless IMO. Installing the quiet cores will make the bike incapable of anything but idle speeds, they simply cork the flow up too much. That's fine if you don't mind jetting for this change and accept the loss in power; but that wasn't the reason I bought them. I've modified the inserts so that they are spark arrestors only. But I have to be ginger with the throttle around officials because they're still significantly above 96db when you're around 5krpm. It's a good loud yes, and it's not the loudest I've heard, (the t-4 is louder as are others), but it's still loud enough to get you a ticket.

The MBRP had lots of followers, but most were riders who had Craycraft build their bikes. Back then there were only 3 camps, and each had their own pipe to push. At that time I was running the then new CT and the small power difference between the 3 wasn't enough to make me care about whether the MBRP was better than the Sparks. It took Tim himself to sell me on his pipes, that and the fitment issues with CT and FCRs.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I installed the CT pipe. It's supposed to ring in at 103 dB according to Dirt Wheels. It is loud as hell but i dont have another bike to compare it to. The installation was a pain in the ass without a blow torch and rubber mallet. It was much easier with these tools. The clearance between the head pipe and the canister was very tight. The mallet and blow torch solved that problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts