Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i adjusted the needles to drop the needles in my carbs it now runs and ideals but when i left off after wot it backfires should i adjust the needles one more click or is this normal

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
turn out the fuel screw about a 1/4 turn..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so now....

i havent got around to turning the fual screw yet but i took it for a short ride and after about 10 to 15 minutes it would just die. it seemed like it was flooding it self out then had to let it sit for like ten minutes then it would fire right back up . then after it did that like four time it died and wont start again any ideas

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i havent got around to turning the fual screw yet but i took it for a short ride and after about 10 to 15 minutes it would just die. it seemed like it was flooding it self out then had to let it sit for like ten minutes then it would fire right back up . then after it did that like four time it died and wont start again any ideas
Nope, but we do need more imformation to help you, like colour of the plug, does it have spark when the engine doesnt run, etc...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Start over and tell us everything - mods, jets, what you've done and what, exactly the symptoms are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok startinging over... so i have a 02 660 with a yoshi slip on ,proflow adapter with a uni filter i lived in vegas when i bought it and it ran tits. then i moved to idaho the elve. is 5800 feet it wouldnt run at all here then i adjusted the needles down two notches and it ran for about twenty minuts then would die i would let it sit for ten minutes and it would fire with no problem then i was headed home and it ran it wide open and it died and now it wont start i just pulled the plug and it looks fine it does have some carbon build up but the porcilin is golden in colorthough it does look like it was running hot, i beleive it has 165 and 155 jets

·
Registered
235 Posts
im not sure whether you went up or down in elevation. depending on that, you are either rich or lean. probably need to change main jets first and go from there.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Moving up to 5800 you need to drop the mains 5-10 each, drop the needle a notch or two and turn your fuel screws in a half turn or so... that said, each circuit should be tested separately and adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
basically he means get the mains right and adjust the other stuff from there. if you try to do needles ,then the mains, everything will change when you change mains again.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
The carb contains three distinct circuits which provide fuel at different throttle positions.

For idle to 1/4 throttle, the pilot jets and fuel screws provide most of the fuel

for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, the needles provide most of the fuel

for 3/4 to full throttle, the main jets provide most of the fuel.

SO, if you have a problem at a particular throttle setting, the above tells you what needs to be adjusted.

There is some overlap, so for instance, if your idle and your wide open is working fine, but mid range is stumbling... so you lean out the needles a bit, you may find that wide open is not as good as before, and needs richer jets to compensate for the leaner overlap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts