Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a couple questions about the 15 tooth sprocket that I already have but never mounted yet. I used to have a '03 Z400 and I have tried a 15 on that quad but found the gearing to be way too tall to be practical. Getting started was a pain and actually riding it on the trails was far from fun.

I ride in South Dakota which is mostly hard packed clay dirt, hill climb after hill climb, and some technical turns or two. With a 14 tooth I shift often between 1st-4th but say in the 2nd and 3rd range mostly with some 4th in there occasionally. I rely on my revs to carry my through the hill climbs but I have had times were I have spun out because I am spinning way too much.

So basically I was curious that with these riding conditions would the 15 tooth be practical? Will my gearing be way too tall for climbing so that I can rev out the motor?

Lastly, in South Dakota it is legal to register a quad and drive it around on public roads but I find that when cruising in 5th my revs are a little high for the best gas mileage. Am I safe to assume that the 15t will bring the revs down a little more for street use?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I just had a couple questions about the 15 tooth sprocket that I already have but never mounted yet. I used to have a '03 Z400 and I have tried a 15 on that quad but found the gearing to be way too tall to be practical. Getting started was a pain and actually riding it on the trails was far from fun.

I ride in South Dakota which is mostly hard packed clay dirt, hill climb after hill climb, and some technical turns or two. With a 14 tooth I shift often between 1st-4th but say in the 2nd and 3rd range mostly with some 4th in there occasionally. I rely on my revs to carry my through the hill climbs but I have had times were I have spun out because I am spinning way too much.

So basically I was curious that with these riding conditions would the 15 tooth be practical? Will my gearing be way too tall for climbing so that I can rev out the motor?
Lastly, in South Dakota it is legal to register a quad and drive it around on public roads but I find that when cruising in 5th my revs are a little high for the best gas mileage. Am I safe to assume that the 15t will bring the revs down a little more for street use?
I'm not sure about the hills, but I ride trails often and switched to 15 tooth, and found it more practical. Hard packed clay, short jumps, tight curves, etc... Although maybe it's just the way I ride. Often in 2cnd, rarely past 3rd, unless we hit a long straight a way. I'm not certain, but if you haven't done the blue wire mod yet, I'd suggest you do it. Unless your current fuel controller does. If I'm not mistaken, it by passes the 5th gear speed/rev limiter. In short, my experience with the new sprocket is, pulls more, shifts less.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You will have no issues running that 15th front sprocket with the power the raptor has. I climb sand hills in second from dead stop and it doesn't even flinch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts