Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many people have asked about the differences between 01 and 02+ CDI wiring. Some have had issues with wrong/mismatched CDI/wiring harness years. I have been trying to resolve this issue and with help from others here, I believe that I finally have an answer. I originally posted part of this today as an answer to BigDaddy's thread. However, it's come up so often that I felt I should start a new thread about it also.

After quite a while trying to get the other schematic (the one NOT in the PDF manual), finally with help from ROCKO, who has done the conversion and sent me pictures and drawings of it, I think we may finally have the definitive answer to the 01 vs 02 CDI wiring debacle. Please comment or tell me if any of you see any errors!

ADDED 4/11/2012 - FYI, you can identify which year (01 or 02+) CDI you have by a simple feature- if your CDI has a step on the front face, it's 02+, if it's flat, it's 01. Here's a link to a forum discussion on this topic: http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1029692&postcount=13

ADDED 12/9/2012 - Member jbennett posted at the current end of this thread: "You might want to update the first post and add that for 2005, there is no green/yellow wire in the 4 pin plug. There are only 3 wires."

He is correct - so if you have a 2005 ONLY, because there no parking brake switch on the newly designed parking brake lever for the 05, there is no green/yellow wire in the harness going to the CDI. Thanks for the correction, jbennett!

As has been said before, the harness at the motor is no different, there are no new wires. THe only change between 01 and 02+ is in the WAY the wires connect to the CDI. Yamaha changed the specific pin placement used for many of the wires at the CDI between 01 and 02. So, with the drawings below, one can simply pull the wires out of the connectors, and replace them in the correct positions in order to use a mis-matched year wiring harness and CDI.

IMPORTANT: You only need to change the connections if you use an 01 CDI with an 02+ harness or you use an 02+ CDI with an 01 harness. Again, the year of the engine has no import.

Here's the original pinouts from the manual (looking into the connectors at the wiring harness end) This is the 01 version, according to BigDaddy

and here's the pinouts required for the 02+ according to ROCKO. He sent pictures of the wires in place, so I have confidence that this is correct:

One minor discrepancy: The manual's schematic shows that the 8 pin connector has a Green/blue wire to drive the reverse light, and the info I got from Rocko shows no Green/blue wire but does have Green wire in the 6 pin connector. Carefully looking at ROCKO's pictures shows a hint of blue on the green wire, so i do not believe there is a problem here. I've included the pictures of ROCKO's conversion below.

PLEASE, if anyone sees an error here let me know so I can fix it and eliminate any confusion and problems.

Hope this helps.

Below are two images from ROCKO showing views of his modified harness. Notice that the drawings above are looking INTO the harness connectors from the pin end and so are flipped horizontally from what you see in the pictures. Imagine that you have unplugged the connector and the drawings show you what you would see if you were looking into the harness' connector. For example, the light blue wire at bottom right of the 4 pin connector in the picture below will be at bottom LEFT of the 4 pin in the drawing above. Left and right are just swapped between the pictures and the drawings, in order to match what was already published in the manual. Hope it's not too confusing.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Funny thing is that most of the PDF files show an 01 diagram. What I looked at was the 660 based Rhino wiring diagram and found that most of the systems are the same. The Rhino has a few more switches and warning lites, BUT if you isolate and pull those systems out basically you have a 02+ wiring diagram for the 660 based Raptor.

GOOD RESEARCH GUYS, Thank you........

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just wanted to confirm one thing since you fellows seem to have the wiring figured out. If I put a 04engine in my 03 Raptor there are no wiring issues with the harness. Everything should just plug in and go. A guy was trying to tell me that a 03 harness wouldn't work for an 04 engine, but from what I understand the only difference is with the CDI and Harness connection between 01 & 02 and up.

·
Master of the Electron
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You are correct 03CV... a lotta people have a lotta different (and wrong) ideas about all this, but this IS the proven, definitive answer.

And yes, BigDaddy... the only published schematic i've seen to date is 01. I sure would like to have an 02 plus, but it certainly appears that the changes documented above are the only difference. Do you have a PDF version of the Rhino? I could alter it to match the Rappy and publish it... if I can get my hands on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All that being said i have a 01 raptor with a 02 motor in it that i just got together. It seems to run fine other then a few diff colored wires but plued right in. The guy i bought it from gave me an aftermarket cdi box and rectifer. will it work in my 01 harness met for a 02?

·
Master of the Electron
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rectifier, yes. CDI, Only if the it is compatible with an 01 harness or you move CDI connector pins around as described above if it isn't. You're gonna have to call the CDI maker and ask what years it's designed for.

Motor doesn't care about year of harness or CDI.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You are correct 03CV... a lotta people have a lotta different (and wrong) ideas about all this, but this IS the proven, definitive answer.
Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
is there a way to tell what year motor i have ? the guy i got it from said its an 01 frame with an 04 motor but my wires are like the first diagram the 4 pin plug only has 1 wire in it? any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
The wiring would have had to been swapped over to make it work with the CDI, so don't judge based on that. Check the wiring for splices. If they swapped the pins into the new plugs you won't be able to determine anything from the wiring.

I don't know whether there are any numbers on the engine or head that could be run through yamaha for a date, but if you pull the flywheel cover off and pull the flywheel I can tell you if its an 01, 02-03, or 04-05.

The 52T gear on an 01 has needle bearings.

02-03 has an identical flywheel and 52T gear except the 52T has a brass bushing instead of needle bearings.

04-05 has a larger flywheel and one way.

So in short, as long as the 52T gear has a brass bushing instead of needle bearings you know that it is indeed not an 01 engine.

·
Master of the Electron
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
is there a way to tell what year motor i have ? the guy i got it from said its an 01 frame with an 04 motor but my wires are like the first diagram the 4 pin plug only has 1 wire in it? any ideas? thanks
JRA - It doesn't matter what year motor you have in the 01 frame. ALL connections to the motor are identical across ALL years. As long as you have an 01 wiring harness (which from your description you do) connected to an 01 CDI everything will be happy. If your bike runs, that's what you have.

ta2tony - The ONLY time wires need to be swapped is if you're trying to mix an 01 harness with 02+ CDI or vice-versa, likely not the case with jra; he appears to have an 01 frame, harness and CDI.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think he is just trying to verify whether the 01 motor has been taken out...probably so he knows if he has to worry about the trans...

·
Master of the Electron
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think he is just trying to verify whether the 01 motor has been taken out...probably so he knows if he has to worry about the trans...
Ta - Sorry, i was trying to refute YOUR statement about "the wiring would have had to been swapped over", not true.

Jra - the only way to tell (without someone giving you an engine number to year cross reference) is by tearing into it. What is your issue? If it's tranny, don't worry till something happens.

BTW, if you have a friend with an 02+ 660, there IS one way to tell. The 01 has a REALLY high 1st gear compared to the 02+. Ride both and compare your first gear to his, if its the same you have a newer motor, if different, (assuming stock sprocket sizes and tires) you have an 01.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i got two at the same time 1 was an 03 the other was an 01 frame with all the 04 stuff put on it.( i also got the bent 04 frame.but i got a spare motor too he said it was a good one with a 686 wisco kit in it but i don't know what year it is? )if i line up the two the one with the 01 frame is much faster but i'm not sure why? but the 03 handles better and turns sharper?

·
Master of the Electron
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got two at the same time 1 was an 03 the other was an 01 frame with all the 04 stuff put on it.( i also got the bent 04 frame.but i got a spare motor too he said it was a good one with a 686 wisco kit in it but i don't know what year it is? )if i line up the two the one with the 01 frame is much faster but i'm not sure why? but the 03 handles better and turns sharper?
Ah, but the identifying question is about speed in 1st. A stock 01 engine has a taller 1st gear, so you will be going faster before it's time to shift.

We're so far outside the realm of this sticky (electrical), i think it's time to start a new forum post if we're going to pursue this any farther.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all.. on my 01 it has fire and fuel.. just bought it and installed new crank and rod.. all timing is correct.. but will not start at all.. even with starter fluid.. it has fire..but when checking plug, as soon as the key is turned on.. it will spark once.. it has a procom cdi.. it will spark everytime the key is switched on and off... any ideas....

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
hi all.. on my 01 it has fire and fuel.. just bought it and installed new crank and rod.. all timing is correct.. but will not start at all.. even with starter fluid.. it has fire..but when checking plug, as soon as the key is turned on.. it will spark once.. it has a procom cdi.. it will spark everytime the key is switched on and off... any ideas....
Disconnect the voltage regulator and retry, if this allows the bike to start, then you may have stator problems.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts