Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Removing Pins

I have an 04 raptor that I believe has a bad cdi. I have compression spark and fuel but my bike just sputters and wont start. My carbs have just recently rebuilt. I am thinking that my cdi my be on the way out. I borrowed my friends 01 cdi and was going to try the wire swap but am not sure what the best way to remove the pins from the connectors is without damaging anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
I have an 04 raptor that I believe has a bad cdi. I have compression spark and fuel but my bike just sputters and wont start. My carbs have just recently rebuilt. I am thinking that my cdi my be on the way out. I borrowed my friends 01 cdi and was going to try the wire swap but am not sure what the best way to remove the pins from the connectors is without damaging anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Don't bother with the CDI, I have never heard of one that really did malfunction, try disconnecting the voltage regulator first and see if the bike runs better, report back when you have tried this...........

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Agreed with Willy - if the bike runs at all, it's not likely the CDI - and it's a lot of effort to change pins between the 01 and 02+. Discount all other possibilities before going there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I unplugged the the voltage regulator and same thing a few backfires from the exhaust but it wont start. I am getting a consistent spark at the plug. The reason I thought the cdi might be bad is because the man I purchased it off had it sitting for years and mice got to the wiring going to the cdi. I didn't notice it till after I had rebuilt the carbs and tried to start it and thought maybe I had shorted it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cdi?

After reading some of the previous posts on this forum Im thinking I might have a timing problem or valve issue. Going to check the valves and woodruff key tomorrow. Im new to this whole raptor game so thanks for the help!

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
99% likelihood that the pilot jets are still dirty - describe how you cleaned the carbs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cdi

I disassembled both carbs completely and hosed everything down with carb cleaner and reassembled. Would it be backfiring through the exhaust if the pilot jets were clogged?

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did you remove the jets, especially the pilots and rod them out, and verify that you could see a nice symmetric shaft of light coming thru them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did remove the jets and sprayed everything down but I cant say I spent too much time with them. Do you think I should pull the carbs apart and re-clean everything before I check the valves and woodruff key?

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would... if the bike's running at all, it's not likely the valve timing or woodruff. ALso check for firm mounting and tightness between the carbs and the intake manifold boots.

This conversation should not be here - it should be in a new post in the general section so we don't muddy the reason for this sticky - the CDI differences.

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Please start a new post in the General 660 section.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi I've heard that the difference is between 01, 02-03, and 04-05 is the cdi is different on these. I have a 2001 660 and when 2nd blew out I replaced with a 2004 engine with no troubles.Everything fit perfectly. When I changed the wiring to a 03, I had to get a cdi from my 02-03 because like the diagram it didn't match. I'm think I checked but I don't think the cdi from a 02-03 will fit on a 04-05 wiring harness. The wiring might be similar but the plug is different. Yeah yamaha even verified this but I"ll double check and let you know for sure. Dave9640

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Hi I've heard that the difference is between 01, 02-03, and 04-05 is the cdi is different on these. I have a 2001 660 and when 2nd blew out I replaced with a 2004 engine with no troubles.Everything fit perfectly. When I changed the wiring to a 03, I had to get a cdi from my 02-03 because like the diagram it didn't match. I'm think I checked but I don't think the cdi from a 02-03 will fit on a 04-05 wiring harness. The wiring might be similar but the plug is different. Yeah yamaha even verified this but I"ll double check and let you know for sure. Dave9640
All the CDIs fit from one year to another on all the 660s, but the 01 harness must have wires switched to fit a CDI from 02 and up.............
Likewise to use a CDI from an 01 on 02 and up must have some wires switiched as per the diagram that Quadmaniac has shown under his profile....

21 - 40 of 49 Posts