Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm gettin close to buying my quad and i know i have to get these item's but what else should i get?

1. Ramps (what kind?)
2. Helmet (what do you recommend?)
3. Goggles (what do you recommend?)

-Zach

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a tri fold alluminum ramp when Im just running the quad from home to the shop I work at or a field close by to work in. I always take the Toy Box to the desert.

I like Fox and Arai. Ive always stayed away from Bell. Shoei makes some nice and expensive helmets.

Ive run Scott goggles since the 80s. I wear glasses, so I run the 87 models.

You need gloves unless you want callouses on your hands and want to freeze your knuckles(if its cold where you ride.)

A flag is a saftey item that is cheap and easy to install.

After that, the rest is really what you think you want or need on the quad.

When I bought my 700 the first things I did were twist throttle, 6 pack rack, exhaust and intake. Then shortly after I did a programmer(you should do the programmer before the intake and exhaust if not at the same time).

If your riding dunes, get some paddles.

If your riding rocks, get some decent skid plates.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bro.

Is a flag required for everyhting of just dunes?

paddles will come one im off to pismo.

Good suggestions on the gloves.

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Almost all of the "what kind" questions are subjective: some people are brand loyal; some swear by other brands; and some don't care - they just ride.

My feelings are:

Ramps: Whatever will safely shoulder the load. This can be steel, aluminum, sturdy boards ... etc. All have been used.

Helmet: Just about any offroad helmet that fits. I prefer to always buy new. Not only does that mean I won't be wearing someone else's sweat but it means the helmet hasn't already been wrecked. And even WalMart sells crash rated helmets these days.

Goggles: A pair that fit, are comfortable, and have lots of vents to prevent fogging.

I'd add gloves to your list. I've yet to meet anyone with hands calloused enough to not appreciate gloves when riding.

There is a board on this forum for riding gear questions. You might check there too. Good luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What kind of riding you doin? Id also suggest a good pair of riding boots and a roost deflector. Protective gear may cost you some money but its still cheaper than an er visit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you haul your quad with a truck you might want to find a ramp that will fit under your skid plate when folded. Its a lot easier to load and haul when all you have to do is slide it under the raptor.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My father acctually has acess to a double axel trailer so ramps are out of the question now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If your pops has a trailor spend that cash on gloves and boots. The first three things I bought were helmet, gloves, and goggles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts