Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, in my grand fashion of not being able to leave ANYTHING alone, it took me roughly 2 weeks to start modding. Here's what I did. Keep in mind, I build 1000 plus horsepower street cars and hand fabricate turbocharger systems at my shop www.nothingbutperformance.net so I like to do things my way and usually come out way ahead.

First mod:
Cobra FI tuner. DId this because these things run really lean from the factory. Just a little tweak on each dial and it starts easier, runs cooler, and pulls just a little harder.

Second: YFZ450 front shocks. Since I have a base model, I used a set of these I got from Ebay for $150. The difference is amazing.

Third:
15t front sprocket. This was a great mod, I like to run hare scrambles and a little motorcross and for the money, this mod can't be beat even stock. The gearing was just not right on the trails, too much shifting, not anymore.

Fourth:
Well, as always with me, I had to find a cheaper way to get my own dual exhaust. Just for a test, I bought a complete stock exhaust system off another board member and used the flanges at the head from his header and modified his muffler to maek my own dual exhaust. It is run very similar to the Barker style. I ordered some mandrel bent 1-1/2" tubing which I would normally use for turbo kits and made my own 2 headers. Total project cost was $90 and took me 2 hours. I will likely try and purchase a pair of aftermarket mufflers later on as I know the stockers are holding me back. I also added a K&N filter kit as well as about 10 holes in the airbox lid around 1". The tuning of it is the funny part. I tune cars here and on the dyno using SCT computer software for stock EFI and also build custom DFI. Well, I have my basic Innovate wideband I used to cars with so I put an o2 sensor bung in the new left side pipe just before the muffler. I hooked power to my battery and duct taped the display to my gas tank. Then, pulled the cable out far enough on the cobra tuner to be able to have it hang out the side of the quad with the seat on so I could adjust on the fly. It took me less than 10 minutes of running up and down the side grass path by my street to get the a/f adjusted to be right at 12.8:1 at all times. The cobra tuner had to be turned up almost 2/3's of the way on all 3 dials so I know there is a major gain.

I haven't had a chance to put it on our dyno yet but I can tell you the powerband is much smoother and broader. It pulls better on top and a lot better in the middle. I will likely tweak it some more but this will probably be it for a while. Got too many cars to finish and need to put my Saleen mustang back together before summer. But for my total investment, these mods cannot be beat. I will try and post some pics of the exhaust if anyone wants to see. Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've seen a few guys on this site do the dual stock exhaust thing. If done right it looks just like factory. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, got the chance to try it out this weekend, really works well. I have decided to build another final kit using stainless tubing and a pair of aftermarket mufflers. So for now I have put this kit up for sale in the parts section or for trade for a single kit to use while I am making the new kit and waiting on it to be ceramic coated. Here are a couple pics I shot after a couple hours of riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Nice the raptor should come stock with duals. that would be baddd azzzzzzz. post some pics up when ya get the other set made. --WOODY--

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Yamaha should definitely consider this. That looks badass even with stock mufflers!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it sounds even better

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
How loud is it compared to stock?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the spark arresters out of them and I would say it was only about 10% louder if that than one pipe. With the spark arresters in, it is really quiet.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks good. Post some photos when you get the new exhaust made. It is always nice to see that some people have the equipment and talent to do there own thing. Well done!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, the real question is how long before I pull one of these turbos off the shelf and get inventive. hmmmmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts