Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shaking down my bike and have addressed a few issues that there has been no shortage of help for here. Changed rear axle bearings and tackled the infamous seized inner axle nut. Walk in the park right! A little sea foam i believe saved me from tearing into the carbs for now, my reverse was bypassed but the ground wasn't solid, now she runs like I believe she should and feel confident about my purchase. I experience a lot of water on my first ride with this bike. I opened the box removed the filter and noticed water in the intake between the carb and box, I also run a K&N with an outerwear bag. It ran like shit at the time but there were a few problems at the time. I believe those other problems have been resolved and fear the water now! What might yall's suggestions be? I know there are a few options out there but I'm looking for feedback.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
If that's a drop in K&N then that's your culprit, you need a clamp on style filter with the Prodesign intake kit or similar. If you're running through a lot of water you might want to keep the box and just remove the lid and snorkel.

If you're looking for a no airbox setup then there are a number of options. The old kits like the L&A and the sixsixT have gone the way of the dodo but there's a kit with dual filters and outerwears that uses a billet flange and the OEM intake tubes that I think would work well. It can be found on ebay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that's a drop in K&N then that's your culprit, you need a clamp on style filter with the Prodesign intake kit or similar. If you're running through a lot of water you might want to keep the box and just remove the lid and snorkel.

If you're looking for a no airbox setup then there are a number of options. The old kits like the L&A and the sixsixT have gone the way of the dodo but there's a kit with dual filters and outerwears that uses a billet flange and the OEM intake tubes that I think would work well. It can be found on ebay.
Right now I run no lid with a billet flange and clamp on style filter it is 1 filter not 2 cans. I have looked into K&N's filter system that acts as a lid and they say it is comparable to running no lid. I don't really want to change to much because it runs great with its current set up. Full HMF, jetted with no lid. Pretty standard mods.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I assume you've pulled the plug out of the bottom of the box so it can drain while you're riding, but if you're in wet enough conditions that you're still getting a lot of water in the open box then yes something like the EHS, outerwears, or similar lid would be the next step to sealing it up without restoring the factory lid and snorkel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it had no plug so i got another one to monitor how much I'm actually getting. I kind of figured those were my options from the homework I've done so far. I am Just looking for everyone's experience. Thanks for yours

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Ya, I just got back from running a dry river bed, so they told me it was dry. I have NO air box at all. Talk about being VERY careful during water crossings, But I could catch everyone once I hit mud, LOL. I might have to find an airbox for when it is to hot to ride the dunes.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When I ran the airbox without the lid I drilled 1/4'' holes in the bottom corners of the air box to allow water to escape and left the plug in place, even if I was in deep water, water could only trickle in if the water was higher then the bottom of the air box........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Water would usually enter the box through the top believe it or not. I would run through water at high speed and water would get thrown up from both direction and there is so much of it that some would make it under the side plastic were both sections meet and with no lid it would sit on my outerwear and eventually soak through the filter.

Ya, I just got back from running a dry river bed, so they told me it was dry. I have NO air box at all. Talk about being VERY careful during water crossings, But I could catch everyone once I hit mud, LOL.
I believe think this is the trade off. Trading the HP and giving up the protection of a closed box. Can't create more flow and restrict it at the same time. I am thinking that K&N's filter lid is probably the best solution. I'll find out soon

·
GIVE'ER SUM
569 Posts
yea CL also got a good set of carbs with dyno jet kit in them for $80, stock rear wheels with smoked tires for $25, and a stock stem with pitman arm for $50. i thought it was a good deal

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lid

I have the K&N powerlid, its so good I don't have to clean my air filter.....last time i cleaned it the water never changed colour.....
That's the route I'm going. Thanks.

yea CL also got a good set of carbs with dyno jet kit in them for $80, stock rear wheels with smoked tires for $25, and a stock stem with pitman arm for $50. i thought it was a good deal
I paid $60 for my pitman arm used here in St. Louis. Luckily I've found a guy on CL that has been parting out a couple of 05 raptors. Mostly stock parts. I haven't needed much but i know where to go if i do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts