Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well now that I have my rebuild project running great, thought I'd share a few pics of the finished product.

This is my 2005 660R with the following mods:

UNI air filter with modified stock lid, Vito's Jet Kit, Full Yoshimura RS-3 exhaust
Wiseco Piston (.20 over), Hot Rods Crank, EBC Dirt Digger Clutch
Pro Design Case Saver, Pro Design Direct Shifter
Forward Powersports +2" Axle
Maxxis RAZR Front Tires, Artrax MX Trax Rear Tires
Renthal Handlebars, ODI Rogue Grips, Moose Handguards & Deflectors
Aftermarket Nerf Bars, DG GNCC Bumper and Grab Bar, PRM Skid Plates

See Updated Pics Below

Took it out last weekend and it's now running better than ever, and is a blast to ride! I'm very happy with how it turned out. :)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Bike looks awesome! Glad you got everything sorted out with the way it was running. How do you like those Artrax tires? I had them on my YFZ, and for the price, I was pretty impressed with them.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Very nice dude. Great job. Happy it runs as good as it looks. =)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike looks awesome! Glad you got everything sorted out with the way it was running. How do you like those Artrax tires? I had them on my YFZ, and for the price, I was pretty impressed with them.
The Artrax tires were from the previous owner, as were several of the other mods. So far the get great traction, rarely ever get stuck.

Thanks! This was a full rebuild, down to the crankshaft. The frame was bent, axle carrier was cracked, rear brake caliper was missing, cylinder was egg-shaped, the small end of the rod and wrist pin was shot among other things. It was basically a rolling barely-running basket case when I got it. With the exception of machining the cylinder and removing a couple blind case bearings, I did all the work by myself. First time going through an engine too. Relied heavily on the service manual and a friend who has rebuilt several dirt bike engines. One heck of a lot of work, but the results are very satisfying.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What is the compression on your piston? I've got a 101mm 11:1 Wiseco going in my bike this week. The cylinder is being bored out tomorrow, and reassembly will take place on Saturday. I'm just curious if you have the same compression or not, and how you like the power. Stock cam in your bike as well?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the compression on your piston? I've got a 101mm 11:1 Wiseco going in my bike this week. The cylinder is being bored out tomorrow, and reassembly will take place on Saturday. I'm just curious if you have the same compression or not, and how you like the power. Stock cam in your bike as well?
Its a 9.2:1, with the stock cam. I like the power so far...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!

Well over the summer I have really come to like this machine. My previous bike was a Honda 700XX and then several months not even owning a quad. I had forgot how light and nimble a solid axle is. The ride is somewhat rougher, but the handling is a world apart. Seeing so many great looking 660's on here, I just recently got the fever to fix it up more! So new OE plastics, new seat, new stock / aftermarket graphics, and Rukind Reaper headlight covers.

Rukind Eyes!

Next I'll probably get into suspension mods. When will it stop?? :D

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
It never stops, you should know better. Wait til you get something better than those pogos on there and widen it a little bit, then you will really love that bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It never stops, you should know better. Wait til you get something better than those pogos on there and widen it a little bit, then you will really love that bike.
OK - Done pulled the trigger... After seeing your quad on here a while back and PM'ing you about them, I finally got a set of ACE A-Arms in Gloss Black on order!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
OK - Done pulled the trigger... After seeing your quad on here a while back and PM'ing you about them, I finally got a set of ACE A-Arms in Gloss Black on order!
Haha, wait til you get those, you will be in love! Can't wait to see some pics of them when you get them on! They are so nice. Got mine in the silver vein, but I'm sure the gloss black is gonna look sexy too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, wait til you get those, you will be in love! Can't wait to see some pics of them when you get them on! They are so nice. Got mine in the silver vein, but I'm sure the gloss black is gonna look sexy too.
Supposed to come in tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Don't forget the axle! Its a completely different bike after its wider. You'll love it

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Already got a +2" axle, that's what started me wanting to widen the front end.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Oh my fault. How do you like the 660 after owning a 700?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Very nice rig!! If you are in the market for some yfz450 front shocks or Raptor piggybacks, PM me, I'll send you some pic's and prices, I have some very nice one's in perfect condition that will also match your plastics too..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh my fault. How do you like the 660 after owning a 700?
Well, it's been a while since I had the 700, about 4 years. I got rid of it when I got the 700XX (thought the IRS would be better in the woods). I still think the 700R was a better machine, and I should've never got rid of it. That said, the 660 is still a great machine, and I have a lot of money, work, and time into this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts