Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to quads and would like some opinions. I bought a 2004 raptor 660 off of ebay. It is about 2 hours aways form me. I am going to look at it this weekend. I know I have already made the commitment to buy it but I wanted to know of any certain things I should look at when I go to pick it up. I kind of know the obvious like coolant, oil, wheel bearings and carrier bearings. Any other things I could check? (maybe there are other obvious things and I'm just oblivious) ALso, are there any notorious things wrong with the 04's. Please help, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
check the welds at the subframe mounting tabs, those tend to crack. Also, check the clutch/magneto covers/frame in that area for wear. Ive seen people list quads with "Only used for 20hrs" but the covers and frame showed A LOT of wear. If it clunks when u try to start it, its the one-way bearing...about $250ish in parts to fix. Also, the teeth on the sprockets should look like /\ /\ /\...not /( /( /(...if they look like the latter, time for new chain/sprockets and def isnt low hour machine. Look at the tie-rod ends where they thread into the tie-rods...thats where they commonly bend. Sit the rear of the quad up on some blocks, look for axle wobble.

I could go on and on, but you already bought it...so if you find something wrong, come back and we'll help you fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I am fairly new to quads and would like some opinions. I bought a 2004 raptor 660 off of ebay. It is about 2 hours aways form me. I am going to look at it this weekend. I know I have already made the commitment to buy it but I wanted to know of any certain things I should look at when I go to pick it up. I kind of know the obvious like coolant, oil, wheel bearings and carrier bearings. Any other things I could check? (maybe there are other obvious things and I'm just oblivious) ALso, are there any notorious things wrong with the 04's. Please help, and thank you in advance.
In addition to the starter clutch one of the more common problems you may see on a 660 that hasn't been rode much or modded much is the reverse rev limiter causing problems when you're riding the bike. Listen for a smooth RPM when you accelerate and be prepared to jet the stock carbs if they have not been done already. My 04 wasn't drivable until I disconnected both the Parking rev limit and the Reverse rev limit and jetted the carbs with 25 pilots and 150-155 mains. Otherwise the bike is bullet proof and should give you many years of good service if it has low hours. good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moose racing nerf bars
Tag front bumper
Tag handlebars
Tag rear grab bar
Aluminum billlet dash
Aluminum skid plate
+4 A-Arms
+4 rear wheel spacers
Full FMF exhaust
Dyno jet kit
Carb spacer
Steel braided brake lines
YFZ 450 front tires
ITP holeshot mxr6 rear tires
New battery (last week)
New rear shock (last summer)
New clutch (last spring)
New brake pads (last summer)
New chain, sprockets, rear wheel bearings, front A-Arm bushings, and rear swingarm bearings (last summer)

That is everything that is done to the bike. Thank you guys very much for your advice. My concern is the wheel spacers. I heard they are no good. The a-arms should be ok right? I was thinking maybe sell the wheel spacers and just ride stock or do i have to widen the back somehow if the a arms are extended? Also, are any of the new parts a sign of anything abnormal or just signs of normal wear and tear? Thank you guys very much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can I remove the wheel spacers(making rear stock width) and ride with the +4 a-arms?

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
+2 per side will be +4's overall - guessing the seller was just using the wrong description.

The quad will handle and feel better if you leave the rear spacers on, but you can remove them if you wish.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank u guys very much. Should be picking up in the next couple days sometime. Now to sell this 05 kfx. Anyone interested?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.