Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new guy here. I am looking at buying a Raptor 700 and I think I may have found what I want:

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/2275266895.html

My question is, it's supposedly a GYTR edition, but it does not have the piggyback front shocks, the GYTR front bumper, or the aluminum heel guards I see on the Yamaha site for this quad. Were there different levels of the GYTR? I am thinking maybe this guy just put some white plastic and a GYTR sticker kit on it, and is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I asked and he said he doesn't know and that is how he bought it.

Also, is there anything special I should look for/at? I am pretty well mechanically inclined and have some experience with quads and bikes, but this will be my first Raptor.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Either it's had a plastics and graphics swap, or probably more likely it's a white 2006 with some GYTR graphics on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was afraid of. Are the shocks the only mechanical difference on the GYTR? I dont care about the bumper but being a fat boy (265lb), I need all the suspension I can get!

·
Registered
118 Posts
still not a bad price with the addons and all but I also think someone just but a sticker kit or gytr fenders on

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Shocks, bumper and heel guards yeah.

I doubt someone would go through the trouble of buying new plastics, a new seat cover, and a new graphics kit for an 07 to copy the GYTR.

I'm fairly certain that is an 06 model.

Also, no mention of a fuel controller, something you'd like him to have if it's got a full exhaust. That's another 150-300 dollars you need to spend immediately.

I'd be looking for him to move on the price quite a bit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just keep looking on craigslist i sold my 07 and bought a 08 with low hours for 3400 all 08 models and up have ressi shocks like yfz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He did say he has a dynatek controller for it that he never installed but he wants to sell that seperately. If i make an offer it will definately include this. I thought it would need a controller but he said yoshi says it is not required unless the airbox is modded too? Sounds logical if these are set up rich in stock form.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if its a full its not good to run without a fuel controller it would be to lean and could do some bad damage

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Required no, should have yes. If you bought it, I'd suggest you put one on it. Most quads aren't really rich from the factory, the EPA restrictions tend to keep things leaner. Less backpressure from an aftermarket exhaust can still allow better flow through the head even if the stock airbox and filter is intact. More airflow means you need more fuel. Will it burn itself up? No, but it's running a bit lean which means it's running hotter too.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Required no, should have yes. If you bought it, I'd suggest you put one on it. Most quads aren't really rich from the factory, the EPA restrictions tend to keep things leaner. Less backpressure from an aftermarket exhaust can still allow better flow through the head even if the stock airbox and filter is intact. More airflow means you need more fuel. Will it burn itself up? No, but it's running a bit lean which means it's running hotter too.
+1 im with md. The difference between the regular raptor and Gytr is resi, bumper, heel guards

·
Registered
118 Posts
He asked Are the shocks the only mechanical difference on the GYTR that he didnt care about the bumper so I figured he didnt care about it not having the gytr heel guards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts