Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15t front sprocket. Mods in sig. If I go to 22" rear tires will I loose a whole lot of torque when racing. I was thinking that if I go to 22" rear tires .. I could start in first gear compared to second and still get the same effect when I race. Or could I even still start in 2nd with that? Is that the case or not?

Also how many mph can I expect to gain on top end if I go up 2" to the 22's?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Dont qoute me on this but i remember reading that, if you go with 22's you need to go back to stock gearing 14t. I cant remember whybut do a search. Im pretty sure you will find some information on 22's and what gearing to go with. sorry i couldnt help a bit more. WOODY

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How will I know that without some sort of vapor. 6k means you are refering to the rpm right?

I did a search a while ago. It didnt say anything about if the bike had the mods I have then dont do it. I think they were only refering to big 3 and stock.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I believe it will be the equivelant of going to a 16t front sprocket. If that helps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bro. I kinda knew that though. I just looked at the chart and it says I would gain about 10 mph on top end going to 22" tires. So thats answered. I hear a lot of 22" arent really 22's though.

I was mainly wanting to know if I go to 22" rear tires will I loose a whole lot of torque when racing. If so .. could I just start in first to make up for that torque lost?

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
With 22's and 15t you definitely will have to launch in 1st. What type of riding you do?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Street racing. Not a whole lot though. Trails .. but the trails I ride is very slow. Mad more for dirt bikes. I do a lot of top end runs also thats why Im contemplating on getting the 22's. But my concern is when I race guys about 1/16 - 1/8 of a mile, I want to be in front. Thats why I was thinking I would probably get the same outcome if I launch in 1rst if I go to the 22's. Am I right or wrong?

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
Street racing? If you can ride it and keep the front end down which I think it will be a bitch, go for it!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im keeping it down now with the 20's. It is hard though but like I said earlier in a post .. I have a lil lean I do that helps alot. Getting 22's should help even more keeping it down. Im gonna try it out. If I dont like it .. expect to see listing in Parts/Bikes for Sale section.

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
Ice4me said:
Im keeping it down now with the 20's. It is hard though but like I said earlier in a post .. I have a lil lean I do that helps alot. Getting 22's should help even more keeping it down. Im gonna try it out. If I dont like it .. expect to see listing in Parts/Bikes for Sale section.
I'd say is the opposite since the 22's will hook better than the 20's and you'll be in 1st.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I know its going to come up in first. It comes up in 2nd a lil with the 20's and thats not gasing it. But 3rd is down with my front lean. With out that lean 3rd would come up really easy. So Im saying that maybe I should get the same result if I start in 1rst with 22's. It'll come up in first but I could possibly hold it down in 2nd with my fron lean Im hoping.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would think 22's would be OK. You will have to launch in 1st. I run 22's but I only run in sand. It is a cheap mod just to try. I think you might be surprised at how much you actually gain throughout the rev range. I was really shocked about how powerful 3rd felt after the mod. I only have the three mods plus the 15t counter. When I drag a similiarly equiped bike, I start in 1st but as we both end up in 3rd I start to overtake them noticeably. Remember I am on sand. As a side not I can start in 2nd and if the sand is really loose and dry all the better but if the sand is hard packed and holding moisture I can't get good wheelspin and I either wheelie or have to let off some to keep her down. The 15t sprocket is one of those mods that is very cheap to try and you can always go back to the 14t. Might as well give it a shot.

Craig,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts