Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can’t be good. My son and I met up with a buddy of mine this morning for a nice Sunday ride. Everything was great, weather was about 45 degrees, sun was shining, lots of great trails and then…

After we were done riding we were loading our quads back on the trailer when my buddy said, “Where’s that oil coming from?” I looked down below my Raptor and I saw drip, drip, drip… Needless to say, not the way I wanted to end a great day of riding. After throwing a tantrum like a little kid I gathered myself and took a closer look to see what was leaking. Couldn’t really see exactly where, but knew it wasn’t good. So after we got home, we hoses off the quads and put mine up on jack stands to take a closer look. And this is what we found.

Funny thing was that I don’t recall hitting or going over any large rocks that would cause this. I have the factory black belly skid plate and an A/C Racing rear skid plate. We did go riding through a couple of washes and river bottoms but there was no water running, I guess that’s where it happened. From the time we loaded the quads, dropped my buddy off at his house, unloaded his quad, drove for another 30 minutes to our house, washed the quads and then finally put my quad up on jack stands, there was at least a quart or better of oil that still came out when I drain the engine. As you can see, the pencil is pointing at the cracks on either side of bolt.

My question is, how much does a repair like this usually cost. Is this the Crank Case or the Transmission? I figured that I will have to buy a new case either way. I am fairly new (year and half of riding quads) to ATVs, their engines but have done all of the mods and maintenance so far on our quads by myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined, is this something I should try or leave it to the so called experts? Should I just pull the motor and take it to someone like Kenz and have them do the repairs? Is there anything else I should replace when I have the engine out? This is on a ’05 Raptor 660R, any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: THIS CAN'T BE GOOD...

Is the bolt sheared off in there?

If the oil is just leaking between the mating surface, you may be able to stop it with some gasket compound, but if it's because of a crack, I imagine a welding shop could fix that quite economically.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Nope, the bolt isn't sheared off, the case is just cracked on both sides of the bolt.

-Johnny

·
Registered
2,062 Posts

you'll have to get that crack welded up. Looks like you smacked something pretty good.

If you want to try ghetto, let all the oil leak out and try to expoxy it, see if it holds up. If it doesn't you'll have to tear the motor down and split the cases to have them fixed, there is no reason those cases can't be fixed.

Once you get a local estimate, let me know what it is and I can probably save you some money but you'll have to consider shipping cost (about 150 for the round trip) in your decisions.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Coalshed,

Where are you located at? What parts are you talking about that you'll you be able to save me money on? Thanks for your imput/help.

-Johnny

·
Registered
2,062 Posts

I'm in the People's Republic of Virginia :lol:

I was just saying that if you plan to have a shop fix it, I can probably fix it for less money. If you get a local estimate, just let me know what they say needs to be done and I'll give you my price to do that and you'd be able to compare them is all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks, I'll let you know after I get a few quotes over the next couple of weeks.

-Johnny

·
Registered
373 Posts

CoalShedRacing said:
you'll have to get that crack welded up. Looks like you smacked something pretty good.

If you want to try ghetto, let all the oil leak out and try to expoxy it, see if it holds up. If it doesn't you'll have to tear the motor down and split the cases to have them fixed, there is no reason those cases can't be fixed.

Once you get a local estimate, let me know what it is and I can probably save you some money but you'll have to consider shipping cost (about 150 for the round trip) in your decisions.
epoxy wont hold up once the motor get to a certain degrees the epoxt will soften up
it will only hold up when cold or worm

·
Registered
587 Posts

Have you tried using JB Weld, will that hold up?

·
Registered
147 Posts

just dont weld the case together lol I had a old kx125 with a similar problem and used jb weld and it didnt hold, but i also didnt prepare the surface to well. Make sure all the oil is drained and use carb cleaner to clean out the cracks so you can fill it in and get it to bond properly. Hope it works for you. And if it does work, just check your oil level alot and invest in a skid.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THIS CAN'T BE GOOD... #2

Thanks for everyone’s feedback on getting my quad repaired. I have taken it into several shops and have received some different repairs methods. Of course the proper repair would be to pull the motor split the cases and repair or replace the case. This will cost lots of money I understand. Two different shops I went to said that they could weld the cracks on either side of the bolt and then run a weld about 2” – 3” on either side of the bolt welding the cases together without me pulling the motor. I know that if I have this done and I ever needed to do any modifications or repairs I would have to get new cases anyways.

My question is, can they safely weld the cracks and cases together. Other than not being able to do mods or repairs to the engine/transmission will this work? Can’t wait to see the responses on this post.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It will work, but you want be able to reopen the case without something like an angle grinder. If you don't have the money to spend on a new case go for it. What do you have to lose. I've seen my dad weld on stuff like that before. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ya it will work just fine, and if something goes wrong in the future where you need to open it up then you can either grind the weld back down or buy a new case. But welding it should work just fine.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
The same thing happened to "Project Raptor" that ATV offroad did back in 2002. A rock came up through the factory piece of plastic that Yamaha calls a skid plate. It was a $1200 fixxer. As you know, the scuff mark near the leak indicates that something has hit the area which caused your unfortunate damage.

If you have not invested in a full body skid plate yet, it should be next on your list after your repair.

I hope the welds work, as long as you do not ever have to crack the case.

Best of luck-

~Brian

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Have you guys ever heard of devcon? Kicks ass on jb weld, as far as I know it is specially made for aluminum. I used it on a rad rapair on an old dirtbike a few years ago, never looked back it worked great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts