Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i got lazy the last time i changed the oil on my quad and never used a torque wrench to tighten the oil drain plug on the crank case. any way i over tightened it. and when i took out the bolt yasterday it took out all the threads. so i lied to the yamaha dealer and said that i used a torque wrench and there gona re thread it and fix it for free. so a lesson learned for free.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ouch! yeah man, that does suck :(. torque wrenches for everything i do, alluminum is quite soft, so every precaution is for the better. also it is a good idea to put a little fresh motor oil on the threads before re-installing the plug too. contrary to poular belife it wont cause any oil to leak back out, all it does is lube the threads prventing friction which also adds to the "grabing" of the threads which also leads to stripage. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I did almost same thing and my shop put a steel insert in it, to fix it and all is fine now.

CApt

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Well i did the same thing 2day and we had a big ride planned for 2mara so this sucks bad :mad: anyways what would yall say is the best way to fix this cheapest and easiest Thanks

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on this a while back ?? :3question: A lot of people have had the same problem.. :confused: I can see me being in a hurry and having issues... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The only thread i found on this was talking about getting a Fram plug but that was to use b4 u messed it up lol so i need to kno wat to do now that i have already messed it up :help:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You know, I read the last thread and had just changed my oil. I had to change it again after my dune trip and I was pretty nervious that I might have the same problem since I just did it all by feel.

I changed it again, without issue.

Has anyone with an '07 had this problem? Maybe they fixed it?

I have a gift for stripping things out and I'm 0 for 2 so far.

Shawn

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've got 5 oil changes with no problem as well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
3 oil changes on my 06 so far. I also bought the FRAM plug and use dit on the last change just incase :thumbsup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
I bought the Fram kits from E-bay. I think it was like $12 for two kits plus $6 shipping. I bought one for the quad (which takes a SD-2 size) and another for my car.

Installation is as easy as screwing in a oil plug, b/c thats what it is...you screw it in once, and never have to remove it ever b/c the kit comes with a hose that you screw on to the fitting when you want to drain your oil! I'm just glad now that I dont have to worry about stripping the treads since the piece doenst need to ever be removes again.

**I want to also let you know...dont use this if you dont have aftermarket skid plates. The reason is this adaptor sticks out about an inch passed the origianl oil bolt, and if you dont have skids, it would prolly get hit by a rock! With aluminum skids though...it protects it very nicely

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
oooooh!! Good call on the skid plates! I guess I'll wait a bit then. Thanks!!!

Joe

·
Registered
779 Posts
SE700r said:
ouch! yeah man, that does suck :(. torque wrenches for everything i do, alluminum is quite soft, so every precaution is for the better. also it is a good idea to put a little fresh motor oil on the threads before re-installing the plug too. contrary to poular belife it wont cause any oil to leak back out, all it does is lube the threads prventing friction which also adds to the "grabing" of the threads which also leads to stripage. :thumbsup:
If you lube the threads, you need to compensate for it when you tighten. Go way down on the torque setting. If memory serves correct, stock torque on the crankcase drain plug is 17ft/lbs, I would drop that to about 8 with oil on the threads.

For guys that don't wrench much, 8ft/lbs is still alot. Don't be too concerned about how tight it is...think of it this way, oil filters on a car are usually only hand tightened and the dip stick on the Raptor oil reservoir is only hand tight. The system isn't under a great deal of pressure, you basically want to seat the crush washer and prevent it from falling out. Anything more is only going to damage the threads.

MK

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
jesse said:
Still dont help me none lol somebodys gotta let me know how to fix this
In the other thread there came 2-3 options.

1. Replace the case
2. Have the case built back up via weld and re-tapped.
3. This happens on cars all the time. Go to Autozone and get an over-sized self tapping drain plug and call it a day.

Most went with #3.

Shawn

·
Registered
224 Posts
nah what sucks, is that i was ridding and took off my shirt and I hauling ass and stood up to find my shirt and my back tires locked up ...my damn shirt got caught in my front sprocket somehow and broke my damn gaurd off where the bolts screw into the damn thing and what topped it off was that i put it in the back up my jacked up truck a mile from the house and the fucker fell out....haha man i was drunk and pissed..

·
Registered
40 Posts
jesse said:
alright thanks for the help guys im gonna go with #3 i think...anybody know what size ill need by any chance Thanks
I would take down the original drain plug and match it up to what the parts store has. Maybe buy 2 that are close and try it out, they can't be that expensive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy this thread has gone from one thing to another. anyway i got my quad rethreaded at the stealership. And it cost me 50 dollars. which is pretty good to me.(canadian dollars). this is reffering to the first post by the way. :grin_nod:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.