Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY LOCAL TECH DUDE IS GOING TO BYPASS MY THROTLE BODY COOLANT. HE SAYS ITS ONLY THERE TO KEEP FROST OUT OF THE THROTLE BODY IN COLD WEATHER. I NEVER RIDE IN COLD WEATHER SO I HOPE THIS IS OKAY. HE SAYS THAT I WILL GAIN 1-3 HP BECAUSE THE INTAKE AIR WILL BE ALOT COOLER. YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS PLEASE.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Interesting idea.. I know nothing about doing this on a Raptor.. but i do know that all the Camaro/firebird guys with LS1's do this.. Usually the first "free Mod" for a LS1 Prolly doesnt help, but its been done on other engines..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Isn't the Raptors' choke a thermal element inside the throttle body? I think it needs the heat from the coolant to shut the choke off. Just a thought, check it out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
EFI engines do not have a choke.. They have Air temp sensor, air pressure sensor, engine coolant temp sensor, so i would say if ya dont mess with any of theses sensors while un-hooking the coolant bypass. then i would think you should be ok.. im not a doctor so its just what i think

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well, not a CHOKE... not like the manual choke you are used to. But it has an extra air-bypass required for cold starts. And that has a thermal valve that closes as the coolant warms it. Check it out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Without this air-bypass being open in cold weather, your engine will run very rich and probably foul the sparkplug.

See #4 in this diagram:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
makes sence.. if you never ride in winter.. great mod! or even better.. would be nice to make some sort of valve for summer riding to shut it off.. and turn it on for winter

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
especilly if you live someplace that has no winters or well any season other than hot. let us know how this works what he did etc.. maybee a pic or two of what he does

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Florida the state with only one season...HOT! I def. will be looking into this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your ambient temperature won't keep this closed. I know it's warm in the summer and warm in FLA or Southern Cali, but it's not over +180°F fluid running through that orifice.

You could probably take it apart and rig it to stay shut. However, your ECU is mapped to work with it, and its not like you can gain even ONE horsepower by removing your coolant lines.

Thanks for listening, i'm sure you'll do what you want anyways.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i know i did this with all 4 of my supras.. i would think it would be fine if it doesnt see very cold weather. but i think it will be a very small variable in power to even notice. i dont know if its even worth it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Has anyone even read and/or thought about what n3me5is posted in this thread? :crazy: This is not a Supra, KFX, or an LS1.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave my tech your posts and he thinks that N3ME5IS has a valid point and probly rite. I that valve or what ever it is doesn't close you will be way too rich. thanks for your help. I am going to leave it alone...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
sikraptor700 said:
I know all the guys with kfx 700s do it.
kfx 700's have FI and a TB? :3question:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts