Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short i was trail riding for like 2 hours and then noticed the check engine light on. i shut off the bike and then i heard a bubbleing. thought it was my coolant[fan was on] ., then i went to see how much gas i had left and the cap was very tight. then i got it opened and the gas was boiling. that was the sound.it would bubble only when i turned the key on engine off. well the cap wouldnt vent air out of the tank. so i took the small ball bearing out of the cap and left the large ball in it and it worked. now i can see lots of vapors comeing out the tank cap vent tube all the time.is this bad? what happened here?the fuel is no longer bubbling but i see vapors coming out the tube. can it stay this way now?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hear ethonal has been a problem and our east coast winter gas sucks. guys with boats are saying the ethanol in the gas is causeing issues. :confused:
i run 93 octane in my quad all the time nothing else. i also hear the ethanol in the gas is causing fuel tank related problems.like softning up the fuel hoses and certain kinds of plastics,etc. :3question:
dont think my issue is related but just maybe?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Do a search of the archive threads about the fuel pump recall/notice. On some of the early 06 rappys there was an issue with the fuel pump that was causing problems with winter fuels and stuff. Also there where a couple of older threads that delt with this issue.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
This has only happened to me and my friends 700's in the warm weather like last summer and now this spring, never in the winter. I just firgured it was heat off the pipes and engine heating the gas up to a boiling point :eek: It did it on mine a month ago....haven't heard it recently. It'd be great if someone found the reason and solution to this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same problem on my 07 700se .while my bike is running and i take the gas cap off there is alot of pressure, and if I leave the cap off for like ten seconds my bike stalls. Do you have that problem also ..the stalling part?>

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Last Sunday, I had a bubbling sounds too. Not sure what it was, I thought it was the Radiator. I listened to it, just ahead of the Handlebars and immediatedly thought that the sound was coming from the rad. This sound was there when I had the motor off...I left it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the bike to cool down and off we went...not sure what it was yet!

I will have to keep a close eye and ear to it to see if this happens again. When I wash the Raptor, I pay particular attention to the Rad and making sure that it get cleaned out properly, so I truely do not know what the bubbling sound is, was it the rad? or was it the gas? I am unclear!

But one thing I am for sure of is, it is troubling!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I had mine pushing fuel out the tube last weekend but not sure if it was hot or not. I have a aftermarket tube/vent on the stock cap. I'll have to listen for boiling fuel this weekend.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Doubt it but it can boil over and leak onto the exhaust which could be bad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is very strange. I too have had this same gas boiling issue. It also kept pushing the gas out through the vent tube and all over my white plastics, I kept stopping to wipe it off cause i dont want yellow plastics. I have the 07 white SE with an aftermarket tusk billet cap. This has only happened to me once to date and what i finally did was turn the bike off take off the cap and let it vent for about 5 minutes. When i started it back up it didnt do it anymore. I dont know what causes it???

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I had just gassed up so I figured it was splashing or something.... strange!
:3question:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Whats the flashpoint of gasoline? Gas boiling sounds scary as hell. Honestly it sounds like a pressure issue of some sort. When you guys take off your gas cap does it sound like opening a two liter of soda? Never had this happen to me yet, But I'll keep my eyes and ears open...

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Boiling points lower under pressure, Maybr that's part of the problem. there are other links about this issue also. Wasn't a big deal for me, just strange but it's not been very hot up here yet....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my problem is the stock cap is not venting pressure out. so i took it apart and took the small ball bearing out and left the large bearing in it to allow pressure out. but is this ok?how does a cap go faulty?
now with the cap venting i see more than normal vapors coming out but no more boiling.
could it be the winterfuel and or ethanol in the fuel?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It may have had some dirt in it making your balls sticky :lol: Gas with ethanol should be labeled at the pump but either way if you have normal venting you should be good to go.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Are you sure the gas is actually boiling?? And not a circulation problem between the feed to the injector and return line? Just a guess, I had a similar problem with a different bike that was related to the accelerator pump.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.