Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my drain plug out of the crankcase today to change the oil, and 2 little rings came out w/ it in the threads they were both broke in half and i looked at the threads in the hole and there was one left in there.

What are these and what do i need to do to fix this now, just new drain plug that comes w/ these? or do i need to get these little coil rings and thread them into the drain plug hole then my plug bolt???

If anyone can help me asap i'd appreciate it, want to be ready for this weekends ride if possible, as of now the drain plug will not tighten all the way

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i just changed my oil last sunday night for the 1st time, and i didn't notice anything like that, makes me want to go and check, buttttt i'd loose my new oil i just put in...scares me, i will keep my eye out next time, sorry, wish i knew what to tell you....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Those coil rings are your threads. Thats gotta suck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this was the 3rd oil change never had a problem like that before and it went in good, lol what about a heli coil or whatever theyre called? heard ppl using them on oil tanks

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
is that the tread off the bolt? or the oil pan its self?, ...so what your saying is it just spins and spins and spins??/were you trying to take it off the wrong direction? or over tightened it?>

·
Registered
882 Posts
happens with crappy tight dies...try to put the plug back in without the rings( :grin_nod: lol :lol:) and torque to specification,,had this happen on my utv and it was fine..if it still threads then dont go f'with it

·
Registered
120 Posts
the same thing happened with mine! :mad: I assume you are talking about the plug on the motor itself...i had to get a helicoil put in mine. My dealer hooked me up and did it for labor and they felt kinda bad that it happened and didn't charge me for the oil or the helicoil they used. I thought it was a good deal since i didn't have the tools to do it myself

·
Registered
120 Posts
i am not sure if i spelled it right but what it does is replace the old threads with stronger threads. I think the old ones are drilled out and new installed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
700hornet said:
i am not sure if i spelled it right but what it does is replace the old threads with stronger threads. I think the old ones are drilled out and new installed.
you are correct, i wouldn't say that they are stronger. but they are a good fix. kits are pricey. if done correctly they should work a long time :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i actually fixed it for under $2 lol. Got an oversized self tapping oil plug the same size and pitch as the raptor plug m14 x 1.50 tapped it with the bolt then vut the bolt down because it was a little longer than the stock plug. Rode it yesterday worked great.

I was going to helicoil it but the size i needed was $100 and had to be ordered.
so figured for $2 it was worth a try before i got the helicoil :thumbsup:

D

·
0 Posts
same thing happened to mine i fixed it wht a over size self tapper one with a smalle bolt in the big one that way i can leave the big one in and not worry about more damage

·
Registered
841 Posts
Are you guys not using a torque wrench when install the bolt after draining it? Just curious, I only see this happening if you over tighten it :3question:

·
Registered
120 Posts
i didn't have a wrench but it just barley got snug on mine and then just kept spinning. pretty weak threads if you ask me but what can you do...oh well it is fixed and i don't have a leak :thumbsup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had a problem wiht the crankcase filler bolt breakin myself. I have noticed everything on this machine needs to be torqued to spec. somethings on these kinda makes ya think "wtf was yamaha thinkin".. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
429 Posts
With the helicoil or the self tapping plug, I'd pay close attention to the chips or fragments that are going to be released from doing either.

·
Registered
683 Posts
best bet would be a over sized self tapping oil plug
or timesert (http://www.timesert.com/)
helicoils will not last too long for this application
This is a problem I have read about in a magazine, they where demoing a raptor for a while and after a few oil changes the threads pulled out of the block
and it has happened to me as well after like 10 oil changes
I always threaded the plug in by hand and torqued it to spec too :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me when changing the oil. I am going to try a self tapping one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just changed my oil for the first time today and no problems. I'm glad I did'nt read this first it woulda scared me. :eek:

1 - 20 of 170 Posts