Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i have a 01 raptor 660 that i was replacing the gaskets and piston rings on. I went to bolt the cylander on the crankcase and it was not threading in and kept spinning. Pulled the bolt out and the thread came with it. So what would my options be to repair it since the thread came out with it? i thought of using a time-sert but then realized its the one bolt that dowell or spacer on the bottom of cylander. if you would be sitting on the raptor it would be the left rear bolt. Would a helicoil work? thanks in advance

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
hi everyone, i have a 01 raptor 660 that i was replacing the gaskets and piston rings on. I went to bolt the cylander on the crankcase and it was not threading in and kept spinning. Pulled the bolt out and the thread came with it. So what would my options be to repair it since the thread came out with it? i thought of using a time-sert but then realized its the one bolt that dowell or spacer on the bottom of cylander. if you would be sitting on the raptor it would be the left rear bolt. Would a helicoil work? thanks in advance
The bolts with the dimples in the head need to be installed at the timing chain side, if this is not done, you will get exactly the problem you are describing, you can try putting the bolts in the correct postion and see what happens...........
The crank case has a ferrous metal insert in the side by the clutch and uses shorter bolts on that side...............I have a picture that shows this............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the 2 longer bolts on the timing chain side and the other 2 bolts on the opposite side. that's they way they should be installed right? The previous owner had taken it apart before so not sure if it happened when they did work or not. So it sounds like a helicoil should be strong enough then?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Yes. A helicoil is your best option at this point. The only other option would be to replace the cases, which would be really unnecessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts