Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jetted my carbs for my sparks and open airbox, 160/165 main, 25 pilots, needles on middle clip, screws 2.5 turns out, all from Vitos jet kit. I just put in a new 11:1 piston, and now it hesitates till it full throttle, doesnt stumble, just a bit of a hesitation for a second or two. So reading the one sticky says my needles need raised by lowering the clip. Am I right to think thatll fix my problem? And lowering the clip, would I move it towards the short end (the clip end of the needle) or towards the longer end of the needle?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
if it hesitates in the mid range you need to lower the clips on the needle. if that doesnt fix it you will most likely need after market needles.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
With the orientation of the carbs as mounted, lowering means move down... so lowering the clip means moving the clip down, to a notch that is lower on the needle (with needle as installed in carb - pointy end is down).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, needles are now on the bottom clip, theyre the needles that come with vitos kit. it still stumbles down low. would adjusting the fuel/air screws help? theyre both currently 2.5 turns out. pilots are 25. mains are 160/165. top is cut out of the airbox. full sparks exhaust/ it rain good till the new piston went in, so im assuming that needs adjusted for.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
well, needles are now on the bottom clip, theyre the needles that come with vitos kit. it still stumbles down low. would adjusting the fuel/air screws help? theyre both currently 2.5 turns out. pilots are 25. mains are 160/165. top is cut out of the airbox. full sparks exhaust/ it rain good till the new piston went in, so im assuming that needs adjusted for.
Are you sure the cam timing is correct. The hesitation you talk of, is there any backfire or does the engine rpm just hangs or drops when you increase the throttle.............

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It bogs down and pops and stutters. If I pull the clutch in and give it a few revs it clears up but will bog again. I guess timing could be off a little from when I put it back together. It runs good in high throttle, justnot when putting slow. Sound like time could be off?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
So weird how two bikes with a lot of the same mods will have different results. My jetting is the exact same as yours, along with my motor mods, the only difference being the Stage II cam in mine, and I've gotten no hesitation in mine at all. Hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill lean towards timing is a tid bit off... guess ill pull the valve cover tomorrow.

very similiar cdg...but mines prettier :p

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
ill lean towards timing is a tid bit off... guess ill pull the valve cover tomorrow.

very similiar cdg...but mines prettier :p
Lol, maybe for the moment...but I got a few things going on right now that might make you change your tune here pretty quick...

Nah man, you got a pretty nice bike, I'll give you that.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Open your fuel screws up 1/4 to 1/2 turn each... hesitation at bottom end is usually lean pilot circuit.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
timing was a little off

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Define 'a little'? One tooth of during re-assembly? Can you tell us wether it was advanced or retarded one?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
timing was a little off
The reason I told you to check the cam timing is because the jetting you used was about right on as to what it should be................and you did have the head off them engine............dont feel bad, I have made mistakes in the past.............:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
The reason I told you to check the cam timing is because the jetting you used was about right on as to what it should be................and you did have the head off them engine............dont feel bad, I have made mistakes in the past.............:D
Great catch, Willy - I didn't even make the connection with him having replaced the piston...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Great catch, Willy - I didn't even make the connection with him having replaced the piston...
After dealing with customers for some 35 years, the experience I have makes you read between the lines.............:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it was i believe about 2 tooth retarded. i gotta switch the jetting back to how it was since i tried adjusting it to fix the hesitation (but just rode all night...shes sounds niiiice)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts