Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just helping a buddy change his tie rods on his 700. I was making short runs to straighten out the steering. Just comming up the drive, I stabbed his throttle. The lever lost tention, but was stuck on, but sputtering, not like the rev limiter, just running inconsistant. We had both recently installed Mod quad throttle levers (awsome mod by BTW), I figured maybe the nut came undone. So I opened the throttle cover and the cable had slipped out of the pivot, but there was tons of slack in the line. I put the cable back on but there was to much slack.

So I figured something must have gone wrong inside the throttle body. There is a small cover on the side where the cable enters the throttle body, held on by 3 small allens. I havent taken it off, because its hard to get to and im not sure what Im going to find in there. I remember when I was a kid mowing lawns, I had a problem with the pull starter, as soon as I took it apart, it shot the springs and guts all over the place. Im sure someone is familiar with this, give me some advice, I hope its an easy fix?

·
VIP
1,060 Posts
How much slack are you talking about? Does it feel like the cable is operating the butterfly at all?

You can adjust the slack in the cable in two places. First on the throttle housing where the cable screws in, you can screw the cable out to take up the slack.

Secondly is where the cable goes into the TB. Use an 8mm wrench to hold the cable and a 10mm to loosen the locknut. Then screw the cable upwards or clockwise to take up the slack.

You should have some free play in the lever when adjusted properly. I usually set mine at around 1/8".

If the cable has come off inside the throttle housing on the TB, then there may be a small retainer that hooks into the end of the cable that may fall out when you remove the cover. The o ring for the cover may come out of the groove too.

·
VIP
1,060 Posts
It slides on the end of the cable and then hooks into the throttle plate attached to the throttle shaft.

Pull the cover and hold your hand underneath or place a rag there in case the cable guide does fall out. There will also be an orange silicone o ring that may stay in it's groove, but it may also fall out.:thumbsup:

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so the plot thickens. I have a spare TB so I took it apart to see what I would find. Pretty simple so I proceeded to take my friends apart. I was able to remove and replace the spring that loads the cable, but when it was off, the stud connected to the butterfly wouldnt move freely. So I proceeded to remove the TB. I pulled all the plugs and small tubes. I took off the filter side boot, guess what I found. My buddies outerwarer, come to find out, he took his filter off to clean it and left the outerwarer and clamp in the box. So I pulled it out and put the TB back together. I did check the side bolt to feel the butterfly moving freely, but I didnt visually inspect the butterfly. So I double checked to make sure everything was put back together correctly, reset the tank and cranked her over. She fired right up but only ran for a few seconds. I tried again and got some sputter but it wouldnt start. The third and more, it cranks, but wont start or sputter, kinda like its not getting fuel. I do hear the pump, and there is plenty of gas in the tank, what else should I check? If the butterfly plate was slightly bent, I dont think it is, would that cause it to not start?

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just pulled the plug and it was black and fouled. I put a new one in and it fired up. I could keep it running poorly bu fluttering the throttle. After a few stalls, it wouldnt start any more. If I slightly bent the buttrtfly plate, it wouldnt close properly and let to much air in and foul the plug??

·
VIP
1,060 Posts
So you're saying the Outerwear was stuck inside the TB causing the butterfly to be open and therefore you had the play in the cable?

The butterfly would not have bent from that, so I would check all your connections. Check the connections of the TPS and the injector to make sure they click when you plugged them in and check the bullet connector that is located beside the throttle cover on the TB. The wires are pretty tight around there and you removing the TB may have unplugged something.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just an update, it turned out to be the TPS out of adjustment. Aparently you need a meter to get that back in the correct position. We swaped the whole TB for my spare, put in a new plug and my buddy was good to go. Just spent the week at Hatfield Mccoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts