Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I recently purchased my raptor and have taken it out twice now on the trails and have been so frustrated because my thumb gets so fatigued easily. I am a female rider so I have smaller hands than a man obviously and when I am riding I feel like my thumb is over extended the whole time.

I have also replaced the handlebars and gotten them set back far enough to where I do not feel over extended because my arms are short as well. This has fixed most of my problems besides my thumb throttle issue.

I am looking in to replacing my throttle lever with a longer version. What brand or type do you guys suggest that I look into? I own a 2019 Yamaha Raptor.

All recommendations welcome! Thanks!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,471 Posts
I have some new throttle lever extenders for sale if interested.

But, before buying anything.... Take your throttle housing and twist it forward , raising the lever some. Then, use the web of your hand between the thumb and 1st finger to turn it, almost like a twist throttle. Adjust up or down for what works best for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I may try that before buying an extender. I'm a little weary of purchasing an extender cause I've read a couple of bad reviews from people that have used them on the trails. They have had issues with them getting stuck wide open.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I have heard other guys replace with a Honda lever with better results. I replaced mine with an Urmosi assembly, not cheap by any means but a very noticeable difference between mine and getting on my wife's bike. My brother had a banshee but Ended to get the extender for his after breaking his thumb after buying it. Those do make a difference as well and a lot cheaper. Cheapest yet is Dez's option...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Urmosi is by far the best throttle assembly to purchase in terms of thumb fatigue. However, the best solution for the money is the Honda thumb throttle. Look for any year 400ex throttle or any 2004/2005 TRX450 throttle. Can be had on the bay for under $30. Its crazy how much more ergonomic it is than the Yamaha and Suzuki housings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you ride smooth and more open areas a twist throttle is good, they are very easy to twist.
I ride more uneven and rocky trails so I worry about whiskey throttle if i were to switch it to a twist throttle. Thanks for the advice though!! 🙂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard other guys replace with a Honda lever with better results. I replaced mine with an Urmosi assembly, not cheap by any means but a very noticeable difference between mine and getting on my wife's bike. My brother had a banshee but Ended to get the extender for his after breaking his thumb after buying it. Those do make a difference as well and a lot cheaper. Cheapest yet is Dez's option...

Do you feel that with the Urmosi assembly that the position of the throttle is overall better than stock? I hate to sound like a whiny girl about thumb fatigue but my thumb/hand gets to hurting after around 10 miles into a trail ride. It makes it hard to hold on after awhile cause i feel like my thumb is stretched out so far left to reach the throttle. I think that's my main issue.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,471 Posts
There's a exercise you can do. You need about 15 inches of dental floss with a loop at each end and a padlock (or similar weight). Put the lock thru one loop and your thumb thru the other loop. In your spare time, loop the dental floss over the index finger, between the first 2 knuckles, (Proximal Phalanx) and work your thumb in and out. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. Add more locks as your strength increases....

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Here is a good review to give you an idea. You can adjust the lever up and down and 3 positions front to back. I had the same thought as you about thumb fatigue after riding mine then switching to my wife's for a bit. Thumb part is a bit longer and easier to push due to leverage. But like I said in my other post you can always try a Honda lever first, rotate yours around or if budget allows Urmosi. I love it. We had a group buy not too long ago and several others jumped in for the price we got them for. If there is enough interest from a few more riders we can try again. I think all we needed was 5 people for a good discount. He has a few different colors available also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a good review to give you an idea. You can adjust the lever up and down and 3 positions front to back. I had the same thought as you about thumb fatigue after riding mine then switching to my wife's for a bit. Thumb part is a bit longer and easier to push due to leverage. But like I said in my other post you can always try a Honda lever first, rotate yours around or if budget allows Urmosi. I love it. We had a group buy not too
long ago and several others jumped in for the price we got them for. If there is enough interest from a few more riders we can try again. I think all we needed was 5 people for a good discount. He has a few different colors available also.

I'd be interested in getting an urmosi. I was looking at their website last night and noticed they had a classic assembly and then their racing assembly. I'd probably just go with the classic one simply for the difference in price and the fact that there may be like two differences when compared.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
When I did the group buy earlier this year the cost was around $175 w/free shipping vs the normal cost of $220 plus shipping. I can get another thread going to see if there are 4 others that can jump in with your offer to get that discount if you are truly interested in that option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When I did the group buy earlier this year the cost was around $175 w/free shipping vs the normal cost of $220 plus shipping. I can get another thread going to see if there are 4 others that can jump in with your offer to get that discount if you are truly interested in that option.

Yeah let's do it! Approximately how long do you think you will need to have the post up for? I dont really know how active everyone is on this sight so I didnt know if you would have an idea of timeframe. If we dont get any response I will go ahead and just buy on my own from the website and pay the $220 because I think in the long run it will be worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts