Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I could do with some help please, just been to start my 2013 raptor 700 up as it has been about 3 weeks since I was last on it, was just putting spark arrestor back in the exhaust, went in fine and was the right one for my exhaust. Started it up and let it tick over for a couple mins, then went to give it some gas to see what the sound difference was like, noticed that the thumb throttle was stiff, pushed it abit more ( wish I hadn't now, novice here) now it's gone completely slack and when I start quad up it's just revving full whack like its stuck at max. But there isnt any resistance on the thumb throttle now it's just slack. I'm a novice so I dont even know where to start or what has happened to it. Any help I would muchly appreciate
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Open the top of that thumb throttle cover and see if a return spring broke. Also follow that cable to the other end and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take the cover off but as I'm clueless on any of this stuff I'm not sure what its meant to look like anyway and I tried having a look but was struggling to follow cable down without taking plastics off. I did try finding vids on youtube but couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just taken cover off and the throttle returns so I'm guessing the spring is not the problem? Is it sticking some where and that's why it's on max power soon as I turn it on. Could you take a pic of where I should be looking. Sorry to be a pain I'm just so new to all this

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My money is on a sticking throttle wheel where the cable attatches to the throttle body. That rubber o-ring can go bad, allow water in there and then things get catchy. Pull that side cover off from the throttle body and squirt it with a lubricant like wd40 or pb blaster. Replace the o-ring. If its not that, its likely a frayed cable

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
I'd go for a broken cable. The OP says the throttle had resistance, pushed harder, now slack.

Take the 3 screws off the thin throttle body cable cover. Rotate the 1/4 semicircle bracket to see if it is stuck. The hand throttle lever should operate the throttle body.

If you remove the cable at the throttle body, be careful not to loose the little round, brass color, retainer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have whatsapp so I could take some pics and vid of the situation just to help me along. I'm not that mechanically minded, I want to learn and be able to do it myself but could do with that added assistance to help me along me way.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Do you have a service manual? I can send you a pdf version that will help you tons. That throttle cover is on the left side as you sit on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been looking at the manual thankyou and it has helped alot. I'm going to look at it properly tomorrow and take plastics off so I can get to it easier ( throttle body covercase). And I'll see where I am at then. Thinking it must either be the cable being faulty or something in the throttle body itself. Thanks again for the help. Feel bit more confident about trying to do the fix myself now

·
10,800 Posts
We're here to help. Anything you don't understand, just ask

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
You dont need to take the plastic off to get to the throttle body.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again guys. Thanks again for all the input. I've taken the throttle housing cover off and it's all rusty and worn, if I set the return spring and then push throttle in there is response on both parts. So I'm guessing the cable is ok? I think it just needs lubrication to help it move freely again? The o ring has perished aswell, I'm guessing it hasnt been looked after at all judging on the state of it inside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've cleaned it up and lubricated it again, its moving freely now, just soaking the cover plate as that was head to toe in muck. The cable is corresponding at the top on thumb lever and at the bottom in the housing on the return spring. Hoping that fixes it?

·
10,800 Posts
That's one ugly picture. Over here we have rust destroying products that would clean that up. You might look for something like that. Also, check it every few months to keep it lubed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I wasnt surprised it had seized once I opened it up. Ive put some contact degrease and gave it a good clean up, then put some lubricant in there. Its running free again now, just started it up and its running sweet again. I'm going to take the cover plate in to my work tonight and get it properly degreased and grit blast any of the remaining rust on a low psi. Thinking of spraying it up in a shiny black too just to finish it off.

Thanks for all the advice, feeling chuffed with myself haha! My 1st fix.

·
10,800 Posts
You can also spray some lube thru the cable from the throttle housing on the handlebars.

Congratulation on your first fix. We all had to start somewhere and you'll feel more confidence and confident with each fix. You have the manual now, read it if you have some spare time. Start small in the maintenance section and work up to bigger projects. Tire pressure, oil changes, clutch adjustment and more will save you a lot of money, instead of paying some kid at a shop, that's learning on your bike. If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My money is on a sticking throttle wheel where the cable attatches to the throttle body. That rubber o-ring can go bad, allow water in there and then things get catchy. Pull that side cover off from the throttle body and squirt it with a lubricant like wd40 or pb blaster. Replace the o-ring. If its not that, its likely a frayed cable

The state of that..
Just as i suspected. Glad you were able to get it fixed. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that throttle isnt sticking before you ride it. Or even worse, someone else rides it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be doing more checks alot more now, its only my 3rd month of ownership so it's a learning curve. Glad of the end result though. I've blasted the cover plate and polished the inside up again, and have sprayed the outside of it black, just curing it now and then will stick some lacquer over it and will be looking juicy! I'll post up a pic once done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts