Raptor Forum banner

Thumb throttle??

4K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Ocelot13 
#1 ·
Do anyone have any ideas for a thumb throttle? I ride with gloves and my thumb slips off during riding. Is there a better solution to keep this from happening? I ride mostly trails so lots of bumps and whoops so staying on the throttle and having control is very important.
Thanx

#4 ·
hmm ive never had this problem. try adjusting your grip in so more of your thumb is on the throttle, or try loosening the throttle and rotating it a little?

#6 ·
hmm, give it a shot! maybe find some textured rubber or softer rubber and cut a piece and glue it on and see if it helps?

#9 ·
I thought about that too spider! you can maybe get like a repair kit or something for it so you dont have to buy a whole quart of it? just a thought. maybe cut a piece of pvc pipe in half and attach it so your thumb rests securely in it and it cant slide off or something along those lines. It may not be the best ideas but im just throwing stuff out there haha. do you have small hands?

#11 · (Edited)
They have throttle extenders, heres one at motosport http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/THUMBBUDDY-THUMB-THROTTLE-EXT/?id=109149 If you want to stick with the stock throttle you should be able to adjust it so it dosn't happen much but it will slip off occasionally. Rino liner will make it rougher so you should be able to keep your thumb stuck there but it is a little more work. Jeff what is the benefit with the terrycable throttle?

#14 · (Edited)
<thread hijack>

Jeff what is the benefit with the terrycable throttle?
The main benefit for me was that I could get it next day from Steve at TQS. I took delivery of my bike on Weds evening at 6:30pm EST and Southeastern Freight Lines took it upon themselves to help me start modding my brand new toy :mad: by clipping the bars on the roof of the trailer on removal.

Most people would say just refuse delivery and I would have had we not had a trip planned for Friday morning to KY, that and I got a SMOKEN deal on it ($5600 Shipped from WY to SC BRAND NEW) The throttle lever was broken off completely. So I was in a mad scramble to find ANYTHING I could. I called everyone on the west coast and the ONLY one who could help was Steve at TQS. He was kind enough to call me back AND overnight it to me as he understood the situation.

Others that I called just didnt appreciate the urgency of the matter as I was in full on MELT DOWN MODE :lol: I can laugh about it now, but at the time...not so much. I must've called 8 different shops and they either would help with overnight (I only had 1 day) or didnt have anything in stock. I was even asking if they had any used parts....nodda.

As for the Terrycable part, its nice and has smooth action. Looks cool as hell and has a long pull if needed. I hope that helps but as you can see it truely was desperation.

And yes, southeastern freight lines paid for it........boy did they pay for it :thumbsup:

EDIT: this may help explain it better :lol: http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70056

</thread hijack> :lol:

#25 ·
I thought about those and looked at the when I was at ls this past weekend. They still look like they would be a little slick. I am going to put the ccp stabilizer on this weekend and c if that helps from the jerking around. Maybe that will help with my thumb slipping off.

#23 ·
Funny that u posted that pic because I looked at them too and wondered wow durable they would be.
I am going to try moving the throttle up a bit and glueing some type of rough substance to the throttle rubber piece that goes over it. If that doesn't work than I will try something like this adaptor.
Thanx for the ideas everyone!!

#27 ·
i feel like sandpaper or grip tape would be the wrong answer. it would rub the material right off the gloves let alone if you didnt wear gloves the skin on your thumb would be gone!
Extender looks like the way to go to me. just my .02

#30 ·
I had one of those throttle extenders and didn't like it. There were a couple of times when I released the throttle the extender got hung up on my middle or index finger and it stayed at WOT.

#31 ·
Never happened to me at all geo, tough luck there

#34 · (Edited)
It wasn't a big deal when it happened to me, I wasn't in a real big hurry to get stopped, you can move your fingers they are hung up on to get it to release. Just something to be aware of. I have probably put several thousand miles on an ATV with one and it only happened a couple of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.