Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on my TERRY CABLE THUMB THROTTLES and im thinking about going with a twist throttle my thumb still get tried what do you think of twist throttle I hear a lot of bad thing about it. I live in Houston so I do a lot of riding on race track.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
There was a add in the new Dirt Wheels Mag about a Dual Action Thumb and Twist Throttle. Made by Terry Cable. :unsure: That might help you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i'm going to the store right now to get it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont think it will work, If i read correctly they only work on quads that dont have a Thorttle positison sensor (TPS)

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
IDk just seen the add and i couldn't get the web site to load :unsure: Thought i would share anyway :thumbsup:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I recently put on a twister and it is Fantastic! I would never go back to a thumb. I have no idea why some people have a problem with them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If your thumbs gettin tired try mounting a Honda Throttle housing on and give that a shot

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My experience with twist...thru the whoops (hard to control), wrist is almost always in a bad position.

Manufacturers decision to place thumb throttle on atv reasoning: when an atv flips over, more often than not it will land completely upside down, thus causing a twist throttle to posibilly be twisted, thus causing the engine to be reving, thus blowing up the motor, since the atv is upside down and no oil is in the correct place within the motor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a motion pro twist and love it. I guess it's what you like. Moto Cross riders seem to have no problems with them...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
IMO, you just need to get used to a twister, they are a little awkward at first.. :confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I talked with a guy that sells the dual gasser from terry cable. He said it will work on the 700 w/out any modifications. I e-mailed terry cable, but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ive been using twist throttle ever since I was 12. Cant stand the thumb throttle, gives me a soar thumb. However after a long day of riding with the twist, feels like I have been digging the whole day! Still would not give up twist! Besides, you can pull better wheelies with the twist! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
As I was riding my Raptor for the first time yesterday, I was thinking of this very thing.
"How would it be with a twist grip".
I just don't think I could get used to one.
I could barely handle the thing as it is, much less with a twist throttle :grin_nod:

·
Registered
299 Posts
For me it was easier to hang on and ride with the twist. Think about it, with a thunb you're kind of palming the right grip and with the twist you can wrap your thumb all the way around the right grip. This made it so much easier to hang on the bars for me. I use to have my right hand get knocked off the bars sometimes on really rough riding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I love my twist. All you need is the motion pro CR twist tube. The stock cable will screw right on to it. It was like $15.00 @ cyclegear. It works like a champ. I needed it because I needed a better grip due to being paralyzed and all. It's all I got to keep me on the bike.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I was looking at the dual gasser too. I gues there is a lock on it so when you just want to use the thumb you can and when you unlock it you get both. I'm getting one for a 2 hr team race we have coming up and sence I like the thumb throttle and he likes the twist it will give us the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's just whatever you're comfortable with or what you get used to I suppose.

I didn't grow up on dirt bikes, so I was never used to a twist anyhow, but when I do ride them, I don't like the fact that the grip twists when I would rather have a grip that feels secure to the bars. It's like riding a BMX bike with a loose grip, sorta. Just doesn't feel good to me. I do a lot of trail riding, and I reposition myself a lot on the bike up and down hills and through twisty wooded trails. I don't like hitting the throttle by accident, which happens a lot on a twist for me. I suppose I could get used to the twist over time, but my thumb doesn't get sore after a long ride. I don't know why. I think the stock 700 throttle is pretty mooth, at least compared to some other quads I've ridden.

I thought about trying the extender for more modulation control, but I'm afraid it may be awkward to operate in tight situations. Don't know though. Anyone use the extensions?

The last time I rode a twist was on my sons YZ450 and I nearly launched myself over a berm, because after landing from a drop off after a whoop set, I didn't have a real good control over my right wrist, so when I landed from the drop, my right hand twisted the throttle accidentally, and the bike almost came out from under me shooting me up the following berm. I had to lay it over to avoid jumping into a dried out pond. That was my most recent experience with a twist. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.